Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is their cage in your bedroom?

moonfire

Cavy Slave
I've had my piggy in my room since I've gotten my own room (which, coincidentally, used to be the play room that housed both piggies in our family) about 6 years ago. I like it a lot better because, as it's been said before, you're more likely to pay attention to them. Noise has never been a problem, plus if you hear any 'mysterious noises' you can blame it on the piggies! ;)

DiscoDuc

Cavy Slave
Well I'm no longer a minor, but when I was I did have my pigs in my room. Which is where I still keep them. In fact I think my mom would rather that I keep then tucked away in my room than any where else in the house. :) I've never had much problems with smell, even when I switched from pine to fleece, and the fleece is super clean. I used to have to vacuum pine shavings off my carpet nearly everyday, now I only have the occasional renegade poo to clean up. I use a small hand vac for that, and the hay scrapes that fall when I fill their hay bins. So I really don't have any mess.
As far as noise, my girls really belt it out at night. Though no one ever seems to be bothered by it, or even notice it for that matter. My girls also know that once the lights go out, the time for wheeking is over. They don't have much hope of getting anything out of me once I go to bed, so they just stop. They figured that out on their own. All I hear is an occasional water bottle click, and some scurrying about. I think clotho had a great idea with the trial run. Definatly never hurts to try. Good Luck!

PiggyPaws

Cavy Slave
We used to have fleece but it just didn't work for me. They don't smell now when I'm using aspen but I think it was just a counter-argument that they came up with.
Clotho - it is a good idea for a trial run but for me that would involve ordering more cubes off of the internet and getting more coroplast.

Thankyou again, you've all been so helpful

EDIT: Just thought that I would add that they don't think that they need a larger cage. This isn't helped by that fact that about 20 years ago my stepdad used to breed guinea pigs, consequently he thinks he knows everything about them :mad:

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
Just thought that I would add that they don't think that they need a larger cage. This isn't helped by that fact that about 20 years ago my stepdad used to breed guinea pigs, consequently he thinks he knows everything about them

Oh no!!! Is there any way to let him know that the standards of care have changed a little in the last 20 years? And that it's different to have pet piggies than to be breeding them because you aren't trying to fit as many piggies in a small space? I'm sorry, I could see how that would be tough. Maybe you could tell them that a larger cage will stay clean for longer and will be less likely to smell? And your piggies will be healthier from all the exercise and will need less trips to the vet? Good luck and I hope they change their minds. Oh, and if getting shavings on the floor is a problem you could switch to mesh grids like these: http://www.meritline.com/mesh-cubes-silver-ld01-769.html, or make a higher coroplast wall.

moma_freak

Cavy Slave
I'm under age and my girls are in my room. Their currently in a pet store cage but I'm in the process of updating.
Thankfully my Mom understands that they need more room, unfortunately she sees her cats as coming first financially.

PiggyPaws

Cavy Slave
envisionary - thank you for your post, it was very helpful. I talked to him and he said that he realises all that. I tried to show him this site (as I have many times before) but he just says stuff like "Well, thats like saying we should eat organic food and exercise for three hours a day."

In the end I cracked him a bit, he said that if it was important to me then maybe in a year (as he originally said, can't do it sooner as lots of things are going on. My mum just had a back operation and is pretty much helpless and will be for a few months)

Hope is better than nothing I guess, too bad the piggers can't see it like that.

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
Our piggies are in our bedroom because it's the largest room in the apartment. It accomodates a 5x2, and a 4x2 cage with plenty of room left over.

It's also a very busy room. We're always in that room doing everything from picking up dirty laundry, putting away clean laundry, making the bed, cleaning cages, sweeping, dusting, visiting/playing with the piggies, watching TV, reading the paper, listening to the radio, etc., so they are never isolated or alone.

As far as the smell, there is none. We use fleece, and clean and change everything every three-four days. I sweep up poos, old hay, and leftover food twice day.

Tell your stepdad that eating organic food and exercising three hours a day is not a BAD thing, it actually COULD be good for you!! So, maybe the new way of taking care of guinea pigs could actually be good for THEM!! :)

PiggyPaws

Cavy Slave
Tell your stepdad that eating organic food and exercising three hours a day is not a BAD thing, it actually COULD be good for you!! So, maybe the new way of taking care of guinea pigs could actually be good for THEM!! :)

Haha, good idea!
Well, me, my mum and sister are going camping for a week today so it is up to him to look after them. I have left detailed instructions and bagged food up in the fridge so all should go well!

Getting.cavys

Cavy Slave
Hello, First off whats is a minor?

Anyway I keep my piggies under ther stairs as it is open and can fit their cage perfectly, it is easy access too. I do want the piggies in my room but my mum also says that they will smel :( but i dont thnk they would. They is plenty of room for they cage in my room, as my door is looking at a huge empty wall which they could go in front of. I am going to convince her about the trial idea also, thank whoever suggested that! Im just worried that she will say no?

Good luck with your stepdads guinea care!

Getting.cavys

PiggyPaws

Cavy Slave
Minor = someone under 18

It's worth a shot asking her, if she says no don't make a fuss but think of some good reasons why you want them in your room (more attention perhaps if you spend alot of time there?) and then go back to her later.

Getting.cavys

Cavy Slave
oh i see i am a minor then lol, i will ask her thanks.

Getting.cavys

Trivman2000

Cavy Slave
I am XX and have 3 pigs moving into a 3x5 in my room in the next few days. My parents understadn that I care a lot about my animals. My corn snake and dwarf hamser are also in my room. The Guinea Pig cage is now bigger than my bed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.