Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wood Pellets/Chips Is the dust a health issue?

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Just a quick question to those who use wood stove pellets for their pigs.

As they walk, and urinate on them, the pellets break down into like a sawdust powder. I know when I clean it every week, the dust makes me sneeze at least a few times. Plus, every night I pull up the hay they wasted from the racks, and mix up the pellets so the wet spots are circulated, also produces dust. By the end of the week, it's like 50% powder and broken up pieces of the pellets.

Is this safe for my pigs to be on daily? I only use it in the 2x2 hay box, the rest is fleece, but they spend a good bit of time in there, so I'm curious. I love love love the odor control of these things, and just about everything else otherwise! :D

I would just try to keep some of the dust picked up. I know if bedding was ever dusty before the Guinea Pigs had peed on it and the like that I would throw it out, but if it is only after they have been on it just try to keep it picked up. That is why they look for dust in hay and the like-- It can and will irritate your Guinea Pigs if it is too much. Just try and keep it picked up and away from them as good as you can. As long as it isn't floating in the air, you should be good.

:)

My opinions, by the way. I could be wrong.

When I was using pellets, I never bothered them after I put them in the cage. Every couple of days, I'd clean the corners out where they peed and pooped the most, and push some pellets in the corners to replace them. But I never mixed them up, so didn't have any issue with the dust except a very small amount when I was emptying the cage.

One word of caution -- if you're using pellets, and you like them, go buy enough now to last you until cold weather. They're a seasonal item, and the stores will quit carrying them during the summer months.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.