Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is stale bread ok?

i love piggies

Cavy Slave
I was browsing on another forum yesterday and came across some weird information.
One of the users said that it was ok to give rabbits and guinea pigs stale bread. I know the answer is probably no, but is is ok?
Has anyone else every herd about this?

Not a healthy food. Bread is made from many things guinea pigs should not eat and could cause digestive problems. At minimum it has no nutritional value for those animals and stale bread is probably even worse. Who would want to eat stale bread aside from the birds outside? It would go to much better use as bird food.

I would only trust the info at GL (guinealynx) so no. I know some breeders and pet stores do it, but it isn't good for gps or rabbits.

I didn't think it was good, I would never give my gp's stale bread. I just wanted to make sure. I will try and find this site and set them strait. so far this has been the only truthful site I can find. It is my number 1

I wouldn't normally feed it but my vet told me for an ill guinea pig you can soak the bread in water, or Complan.

For a few other small animals soaking bread in solutions can help get them medicine, nutrients, or liquids when ill but for guinea pigs it's much more effective and healthy to just give it to them by a syringe. It's probably better for most animals if you try to find a syringe small enough to force feed them than use bread.

Rats like stale bread. I wouldn't give it to my GP's.

I would stay on the safe side and not feed the bread. You can check out my bread thread here .

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.