Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Is playtime ok, or does Elvis need his own friend?

guineamomma511

Cavy Slave
Hi I am new to this forum, and have a question about our newest guinea pig Elvis. Any suggestions about this would be greatly appreciated! We have two guinea pigs Maxwell and Toby who share a cage together, and live in the room of my two older teenage sons. And Elvis our newest guinea pig was given to my youngest son who is 8, Elvis stays in a cage by himself, but I know that guinea pigs are herd animals and like to be with others of their same kind, so during the day I take him out of his own cage and put him in with the other two guinea pigs in their cage for play time, then he goes back to his own cage at night. Is this ok to do? or is this to stressful for them, because I read that they like routine? I do not want Elvis to be lonely, so I am trying to do it this way, I am willing to look into getting one for guinea pig as a friend for Elvis if that is the best solution. I just want all our piggies to be happy and healthy, so any feedback would be great!! I did not have plan on ending up with 4 guinea pigs when we bought our first, but our family loves them and would certainly be willing to care for one more if it would mean providing a better environment for them all the way around. So we are currently at three Guinea pigs, should I get a fourth?? Thanks

The thing I would worry about is that when you separate guinea pigs and put them back together, they usually go through their whole dominance routine over and over again each time they're reunited. Since you've got boys, that could become an issue since boars can get cranky with each other, especially during adolescence. Getting Elvis a buddy he can always be with is probably the best bet.

Since they get along during playtime, can you move all three of them into the same cage and move the cage to the living room or family room where the whole family have access to?

I agree. If they get along during floor time, maybe Elvis will be the happier piggy by living in the same cage with the others. You may not even have to get a forth. Well... Unless of course, you really wanted to! Lol! I'd never discourage anyone not to have piggies. They are such a joy!

Thank you for the information on the dominance I really hadn't thought about that. And the idea about putting them in a family room is a great suggestion, however we don't really have an area like that in our house unfortunately or that would really solve the whole dilemma, and I feel like if I move them all in to the same cage now, that my younger son would still be discluded, and he is just so happy about having Elvis in his room I wouldn't feel right about taking that away from him because he has shown to be quite the responsible little boy, he needs less assistance then the two teenage boys lol. So from what I am hearing so far it sounds like we will be hearing the pitter-patter of another four little feet pretty soon, lol. Thanks every one who posted so far!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.