Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Is Oxbow the Only Commercial Food With No Alfalfa?

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
When I bought Mufasa, I bought Kaytee because I didn't know any better. I continued to feed that to Borat, with Amy getting the food she came with. Last week I finally made it to Petsmart, hoping they carried Oxbow (which they did-yay!), so I'm now in the process of switching them over to Cavy Cuisine.

While at the store, I read the label of every single guinea pig food, and every one had alfalfa in it (other than Oxbow). Even a couple that had timothy as the first ingredient also had alfalfa (and I won't even get started on all the ones with the colored bits). Is there any other commercially available food that's any good, or is Oxbow the only option unless you order from Kleenmama?

My piggies seem to like Oxbow so I think I've found their permanent diet, but I'm appalled at the lack of decent options in the store. I actually got the last bag of Oxbow, so hopefully others are buying it there, too. I'm probably just going to start ordering it online to ensure my supply and divert dollars away from a store that sells animals.

Speaking of which, the same two piggies are still there that have been there for about two months now. While it makes me sad that they're stuck in an awful glass tank, I'm happy that there doesn't seem to be any demand for them. They're both adults, so I suspect they're been there even longer than I've noticed. As long as they're there, no more piggies get ordered, and if they stay there long enough, I'm hoping beyond hope that the store will stop selling them altogether. Probably overly optimistic on my part, but hey, I can dream.

It's the only one available in stores! Their are a few available on line Kleenmamas being one that is recommended on here a lot. I've searched far and wide locally and Oxbow is the only one I found without alfalfa and a high calcium level.

I use Grreat pellets and KAYTEE hay unfortunately :( No Oxbow in sight :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.