Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is our grass safe to eat?

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
Once a year someone will come & sprinkle stuff all over our lawn that's supposed to kill weeds. Our dog isn't allowed to go out on the grass for three days afterwards. But after that it's safe for him to go & roll around in. He's also prone to eating it when he gets incredibly hyper. It's never hurt him whatsoever.

I have no idea what this stuff is called either.

So my question is if this grass is safe for guinea pigs? Or should I mark off an area that can't be treated? I would like to provide a covered outdoor area once it starts to get warmer.

Treen

Cavy Slave
I'd not be happy letting them out on it. Guinea pigs have much more sensitive digestive tracts than dogs, so that he's been fine doesn't tell you much.

We bought some turf that was supposed to be untreated, but the way the weeds all easily pulled out indicated it had been. After we'd laid it, we waited until it had grown through a couple of times (with plenty of watering to help things along) before we let the pigs out on it. Better to be safe than sorry.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
Ok, I'll wait awhile then before letting Phoebe outside. I don't think I have to worry about watering though. Spring is really rainy over here.

Plummie

Cavy Slave
Definitely avoid the treated grass, even after many months the chemicals are still present. This is what keeps weeds from growing over an extended period of time. I would do as Treen suggested and purchase some untreated grass for your piggy rather than wait it out.

Poohbear
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
I'll be asking to keep a section of the grass untreated then.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I don't know if I'd trust that either. Most chemicals will wash throughout a yard and into other yards with one good rainfall. We never saw a point in treating our yard. Dandelions were pretty flowers and any weeds just needed a good mowing to keep them under control. If you have a huge weed problem I'd suggest digging up the yard and having it replanted with a grass seed. We don't even treat our hayfield with anything because of the risk of chemicals running into the horse field and yard where the wheeks eat. We just replant a different pasture or section of the hay field each year with lots and lots of grass seed. I've never seen a good reason to spray the ground with some toxic substance.

Tymel

Cavy Slave
I wouldnt take that chance. But its your option.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
I've marked out a plot of land to plant grass on this spring that will remain untreated, I wouldn't trust the grass unless I knew it was untreated. However, sometimes in the warmer days of fall I'll bring my boys out because the grass hadn't been treated since April and by then the weed killer pretty much wears off.

CavyBree

Cavy Slave
I have a friend that told me they used to have a guinea pig, but they put it out on a treated lawn and it ate some grass and died almost instantly, according to her.

I agree with the others, I would not trust to let your piggies eat that grass, even if you tell them not to treat a particluar area. I would think the chemicals could spread fairly easily, especially if you have a sprinkler system or it rains or something.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.