Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Is my Guinea pig scared, depressed, or just tired?

AdiaMiller

Cavy Slave
I just got my new Guinea pig, Oscar yesterday. What's scaring me deeply I that he is in his igloo, laying down, rwsting his head on the ground. I haven't picked him up yet. And this afternoon he was popcorning. Now that its the evening, he is just laying in his igloo. I would love to get him a friend, but my mother won't let me. She says that I should wait. He refuses to eat, it's only been happening for a few hours. But I'm really scared. Please help!

Tablo

Cavy Slave
He's scared.

He's in a new enviroment and is scared and doesn't know what's going on.

My guinea pig didn't eat (much) for the first 2-3 days that I had him.

kp53179

Cavy Slave
He is definitely scared! Mine took awhile to get comfortable. What I did to monitor his eating and drinking was to mark the water level on the bottle, and to leave food in certain places. Come back later or in the morning and check. 99% of the time, its gone! Mine would run laps around the cage as soon as my bedroom door would shut! They are definitely shy and take time. Good luck!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
It's likely he's frightened and just getting used to his new surroundings, I agree, but do keep a close eye on him. If he hasn't eaten this evening or by morning at the latest, don't delay in getting him into the vet.

AdiaMiller

Cavy Slave
Thank you guys. He nibbled on his evening dinner. I showed him the bag of food and he started to chirp! I'm still going to keep an eye on him. Right now he's out of the igloo, but I think he's going to sleep for the night.

piggielove123

Cavy Slave
If he is not eating i would try to give him something like carrots & i do not think he is sick, i think he just needs a few days.
P.S. try hand feeding

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I would let him lay there. As long as he has food out to eat he should be fine. He is just adjusting.

jacquerooks

Cavy Slave
It will take him a few days to get used to you and his new surroundings. I would wait 2-3 days before trying to pick him to try to bond with him. What you can do is sit somewhere near his cage and talk to him for about five minutes a couple times a day until then. If you get him used to seeing you and hearing your voice it will not be as stressful for him when it comes time for some holding and cuddling. When you do start to pick him up limit the time he is out of his cage for the first couple of days. Increase the time a little each day. In a couple of weeks he will probably look forward to seeing you and may even wheek for you to get him.

Tablo

Cavy Slave
The first day I had Nico, I fixed up his cage, gave him pellets, water, his pigaloo, and I gave him a couple leaves of spinach and a carrot, I left him alone. Checked on him an hour later, and there was no chunks in any of the food, so I dumped that. I always flattened out his pellets to see if he was eating. I know he was drinking, because his water bottle wasn't leaking and the water kept going down.

Second day, I did the same thing. No change, but he was out of his pigaloo more.

Third day, 1/3 of the carrot gone and a spinach leaf gone. Dumped the rest.

Fourth day is when I first actually put my hands in the cage. He hid, but after about 2 minutes poked his face out of his hidey.

Fifth day is when he let me pet him, but not for long. This is also the day that I gave him some basil and romaine.

Sixth day, he was eating regularly (right amount of pellets, other days he wasn't eating AS MUCH, but the first 2-3 days he barely ate)

Seventh day is when he first allowed me to pick him up (with a bit of squirming and trying to escape) but he allowed me to pet and hold him for about 5 minutes, then he started squirming so I put him back.

I gradually just kept paying attention to him, and now whenever I walk into the room, he runs up to the cage grids and stands on his hind legs. He's a big baby and he loves to be pet.

Give him time to adjust.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.