Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is my cat stressing out my pigs?

kristlynngirl

Cavy Slave
I have two piggies in a C&C cage which I put wire shelving on as lids when we unexpectedly adopted a kitten a few weeks ago. The kitten is far more interested in the pigs than they are in her...and she can't get more than a little paw in and swat at them. I don't think she can or would hurt them. They've all gone nose to nose sniffing each other thru the cage without incident.

Problem is I don't have a pig room or a room that I can make a pig room. Is she going to stress the pigs out? She climbs up on the cage and watches them but they pretty much go about their business and ignore her. Is this something I should even be worrying about? I'm a worry wart! I don't want to have to part with any of the animals, but I don't want anybody to be in danger either.

If they seem to be fine with her, and as long as she can't get to them, I think they're fine. You said you don't have a pig room, but if you're worrying, is it possible you could put them in a room that was off limits for the kitty? As long as the kitty isn't completely attacking the cage, and the pigs seem fine with her, it doesn't sound like she'll stress them out.

I live in a small townhouse so the floor plan is very open minus the bedrooms. I don't want the pigs in the bedroom because they'd keep me up all night and we'd have to lock the cat out, so she would cry outside the door like a baby.

She watches them more than anything. What scares me is the pigs are too dumb to run away. They go nose to nose with her and wheek in her face! She'll occasionally pop the one in the head when he's loud and he still doesn't run!

She watches them more than anything. What scares me is the pigs are too dumb to run away. They go nose to nose with her and wheek in her face! She'll occasionally pop the one in the head when he's loud and he still doesn't run!

I bop my loud little boy on the nose when he's being loud and obnoxious because he wants treats and I don't have any... He doesn't always run away the first time. The guinea pig probably isn't "stupid" - he figures the cat isn't a threat because it's on the other side of the cage, it can't get to them and if it's a kitten it's probably too small for the GP to feel threatened.

I agree with @BlueButterfly -As long as the cat can't get to the guinea pigs, and the guinea pigs aren't cowering from her I don't think there is anything to worry about.

I have two cats and three dogs in a house with an open guinea pig cage. When I'm home, I leave the door to the room the pigs are in open- nobody has ever bothered them. I think it depends on the individual animal. My cats won't even kill mice, nevermind a guinea pig.

When I first brought George home, it kind of worried me because I have four cats and I didn't know exactly how they would react to him. They've been fine around my rabbit, so I had kind of an idea, but guinea pigs are getting closer to to mice then a rabbit is. Good thing is though none of my cats are really the "hunter" type. One killed a mouse ten years ago, and that was it. My bedroom is also a "living room" which I have converted, and my "door" is actually a curtain. So there is no way to keep the cats out. I always have the option of putting him in my old bedroom (lame) but luckily in the month I've had him I haven't had any problems with the cats bothering him, or him seeming to be frightened of them.

Your pigs should be fine as long as you have a closed cage, which you do.
Also, you might want to clip your cats nails. I do that to my cats just in case they find a way to weasel their paw in a cage, or something like that. :eek:

Her nails are clipped and I intend on keeping them that way. She is a kitten, 7 months old and the pigs are young too at about 8-9 months old. I'm hoping them "growing up together" may lead to peace and harmony.

The pigs still eat, drink, popcorn, chase each other and mouth off when I come near the cage...so I'm hoping as long as their behavior stays the same they are fine.

It sounds like they are playing together. Guinea pigs and cat can actually enjoy eachothers company and will even sometimes play together. Mine do it all the time. As long as your pigs are safe, no worries. If the guinea pigs are coming up to the kitty, then they clearly are curious about her. Interaction is good, it allows them to have another fun activity to do.

If your pigs seem stressed, then they are. But if they seem at ease, chances are they don't mind the company of your kitten.

When I lived at home, one of the cats would sit and stare into the cage. He seemed dangerously interested in my piggy. One day I plopped my pig next to my curious cat and he flew out of that room faster than ever. He loved staring at her, but he was terrified of her when she was out of the cage.

My guinea pig likes to pretend she's afraid of the cat when she is out in her playpen but then I will catch them "talking" to one another. They will be touching noses through the grids when they think I am not looking. Sometimes the cat will hop into the pen with her and she will normally go into her igloo until I get the cat out but my cat is de-clawed so that's one reason I don't worry too much and the cat also tends to be afraid of the pig when she gets too close.

I have two small dogs that I call the babysitters because when she is out in her playpen they come and play with her through the bars and she just loves them. She pop-corns when the poodle comes in the room. I don't completely trust the dog or the cats but they also know the guinea pig belongs here and they do get a harsh voice if they seem like they may hurt her or are getting too rough.

It might help that your kitten is growing up with your guinea pigs. She will know they belong there and were there before her.

My pigs definitely do not seem stressed. I just didn't know if they hide it well like they do being sick. Nothing about their behavior is changed. They're eating and running around and talking to each other as much as ever.

My pigs definitely do not seem stressed. I just didn't know if they hide it well like they do being sick. Nothing about their behavior is changed. They're eating and running around and talking to each other as much as ever.

For my pigs, being stressed is a lot more obvious than illness... Or it presents as an illness (not eating/pooping)

My cats don't seem to stress Borat or Amy at all. I don't know Borat's background, but Amy lived with a very large dog in close proximity to her cage, so she must have gotten used to potential predators. The piggies would go right up to the grids when I had them in grid playpens and touch noses with the cats. I often have a feline join in when I'm doing lap time, and neither piggy seems to care. Neither Amy or Borat is as brave as my dear little departed Mufasa was, though. One night he was on my lap and one of my cats snuggled up next to us and he plucked out one of the cat's whiskers! I loved the feline look of surprise on my kitty's face.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.