Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is my cage plan too big?

EmmetKelly

Cavy Slave
I am adopting a couple of rabbits, and decided to build them a cage. I drew up a plan: 3 panels wide x 6 panels long x 4 panels high. The cage is built to hold 2 rabbits, so about 15 lbs of rabbit combined (a Dutch and a Californian). I was planning on making it at least 2 levels high. Standing on their back legs, I'm pretty sure 1 panel high will not be tall enough, so I'm thinking 1.5-2 panels high would be okay. I don't have any cubes, so I can't visualize how big this is going to be. Does it sound like it is going to be too big? I know "the bigger the better", but is this a bit extreme?

Thanks!!

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Rabbits can jump pretty tall. You'd want it at least 3 to 4 grids tall and reinforce it well.

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
Well done for choosing to adopt - and a pair as well, great!

You are right that there is no such thing as "too big"!
In the UK the RSPCA recommends a bare minimum of 12 sq feet for a rabbit cage (and this is assuming they have access to a run as well).
A 3x6 cage is approx 24 sq feet - which makes sense for two rabbits. And even so, it is also better to exceed the minimums!

If you want to get an idea of how big this really is you could just cut some pieces of string to the right lengths and lay them out where your cage will be.

Generally the more space your bunnies have the happier and healthier they will be, and the less likely they will get bored, fight etc.

When you say panels I assume you mean standard grids / cubes?
If so, a 3x6 sounds pretty good for floor space.

I agree that one grid would not be tall enough - most rabbits would not be able to stand up fully. In the UK the minimum legal internal height for a lab rabbit cage is 45 cm - which is 17 inches, so bigger than one grid.

Two grids height would definitely be better, so if you could make it 4 grids tall in total (2 per level) that would probably be about right.

Good luck with your cage - it sounds awesome. Look forward to seeing photos when its complete!

Edited to add: As mentioned above, rabbits are amzing jumpers - I've seen them jump straight out of a 4 foot tall pen. For a single level cage I would just say make it at least 4 grids high, but if you want multiple levels I would ercommend a lid!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
It sounds like a great plan, just make sure you have a way to get in and out of it to clean and easy access to the rabbits if you were to ever need to get to them quickly.

EmmetKelly

Cavy Slave
I plan on having the whole front open, so 2 doors that are 3 grids wide, 4 grids tall. I'm worried about the stability of the cage though. How can I have the front open and not worry about it collapsing? How would I keep the levels up? The only sheets of coroplast I can find is 4'x8'. I would like a 6" border around the cage. Could I tape the peices together?
I'm adopting 2 rabbits from a shelter about an hour away from me. The are 2 and 3 years old and are spayed/neutered. I'm very excited to pick them up. They are holding them until I build the cage.

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
Yes, you can tape the coro together. As for security- if people have huge, tall cages, it's usually best to have both connectors and LOTS of cable ties to keep it supported. You may need a support like a narrow PVC pipe or something.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.