Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Is it worth getting my boy guineas neutered?

guineatron

Cavy Slave
I have four girls & three boys. I would like to just let them live together but obviously I don't want any pregnancies. The vet said it would cost 115$ per male guinea. Do you guys think it's worth it?

If you have a ton of room or an actual room for them all to live together in peace, I would say yes, otherwise it's probably easier having 2 separate cages.

It's very unlikely they would live together peacefully in a mixed herd like that, neutered or not, so unless you're going to have pairs and trios, I'd say no.

As long as they're compatible, I'd keep them separated in two cages with males in one and females in another. I've had a herd with a neutered male with three females and cages with only males and others with only females. I couldn't see any benefit to having the male with the females. In fact, the neutered male lives with another male now because one of the females was picking on him. I had a different female and neutered male pair and they were very bonded.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.