Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is it usual for guinea pigs to nibble on you?

gambitsgurl

Cavy Slave
I am a first time guinea pig owner, and sometimes my guinea pig will nibble on my chest. (Usually where the collar of my shirt exposes the top part of my chest, not the breast but right above that.)
Is that normal?

Also, Noah, my guinea pig, was sitting on my shoulder, and I had a pair of shiny stud earrings on and he bit my ear. It broke the skin. Are they attracted to shiny things, because I thought that maybe he was trying to get my earring, but got my ear instead.
Do you think, that this might have been what it was or was it something else?

Any ideas?

I've heard of them biting at jewelry before, so perhaps they are attracted to the shiny metal.

Also, nibbling is normal. Sometimes they are just tasting to see who you are, other times they are alerting you to something (have to pee, usually).

Do you have a second cavy? If not, please get one. Read www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm for more info. Thanks!

He has a playmate, who lives next door, and they are usually together, and yes they are both the same sex. Once my roomate and I move into a house together in a few months, then I do plan on getting him a permanent playmate.
Thanks for your help.

Ok, that's great! I hope that happens soon. Keep us updated!

Mine is very attracted to anything shiny, if you drop a shiny coin on the ground he'll run right over to it and try to eat it.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
my piggies like to nibble on my finger. doesnt hurt, though.

i remeber my first guinea pig used to try and chew on my hair

My guinea pig barbers my hair and they both lick and nibble on my hand...perhaps returning my grooming (?)

haha reminds me of one of the puppys here she was lying on our bed and then proceeded to lick my husbands hair and then nibble on it and he was like ow

When I'm lying on the floor with my piggies, they will often come up and nibble at my glasses.

Thats sounds adorable rooseterboy. If I'm wearing my school shirt, Ascot will nibble on the collar. During petting, I may have my hand on my lap, and both will have a nibble. Sometimes they can break the skin though. Ouch

They are quite old, so I wouldn't expect them to bite me. Its only once in a while. They were stray so I don't realy know their background, maybe they were seperated from their mum too early.

AmeliaBedelia said:
When I'm lying on the floor with my piggies, they will often come up and nibble at my glasses.
Really, Noah does that sometimes too, I have even noticed that my glasses are an attractive play toy for other animals like birds and if I remember correctly even my little Russian Dwarf Hamsters have some strange attraction to them.

Loveheart said:
i remeber my first guinea pig used to try and chew on my hair
Sorry, about the double reply.
Noah, loves hair, it is the first thing he goes for when my boyfriend or I pick him up. When we wear our hair down and he has sitting on one of our laps he shoots straight up to our shoulders so he can cuddle, hide, and nibble on our hair. I've never seen him move so fast or climb so well as he does when he spots hair.
Has anyone else experienced this?

Harry does that all the time! she also loves getting into the hood of my sweatshirts, but she also loves going to the bathroom in there, so i have to catch her before i can't reach her anymore!

Mine likes it up there too. Especially when I have my hair down or I have a hooded sweatshirt on. Sometimes he will tinkle on my shoulder and that is kind of annoying, but it makes him happy (to be on my shoulder).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.