Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Is it to soon?

Chiyo91

Cavy Slave
Hi
I had two guinea pigs Charlie brown and Mickey. Our next door neighbor's dog
Broke into our backyard and killed poor little Mickey, Charlie thankfully escaped
And is now safe. It just happened a couple days ago and Charlie is very sad and lonely now and looks around the cage for Mickey and squeaking for
Him :( he is also a bit traumatized from the whole ordeal.
I don't want to replace Mickey but I know Charlie needs a friend. I was just
Wondering How long should I wait to introduce him to a new guinea pig? It's just before
There was Romeo his brother that we lost to heatstroke, then we got Mickey
When he was a baby and Charlie took on a fatherly role towards Mickey, he's
Just already lost two good friends I'm a bit worried how he will take to another new guinea pig. Also what's a good age? Would it be better if I got another the same age as Charlie? And I don't really want a female because I don't want to p
ut either of them through surgery.

Should I give Charlie time to grieve? It breaks my heart to see him look for
Mickey though :(

Please correct me if I'm wrong but between the dog attack in the backyard and dying from heat stroke, I'm going to guess that you house your pigs outdoors?

Those are terrible things to have happened and I hope it means that you learned from those mistakes and won't be keeping your pigs outdoors anymore.

When you say "Charlie is now safe" do you mean he is now being housed permanantly indoors and away from any potential dangers?

If you are housing your pig indoors and have a large enough cage to accomodate two male pigs (a 2X5 C&C or bigger) then yes, I think it would be a great idea to adopt a friend for Charlie. There is a 21 days quarantine period in which the new pig would have to be kept in a different room than Charlie to ensure that no airborned illness is passed between them.

The 21 days would also allow Charlie a little more time to grieve the loss of his friend.

Were the pigs kept permanently outside when the heat stroke & attack took place? Or just unsupervised?
Guinea pigs are indoor pets, to be kept inside or supervised at all times on a temperature controlled day. They are not able to handle the climate as they are extremely fragile & sensitive to cold, drafts & heatstroke, and are sitting prey for any predator that comes along. Unfortunately two pigs have unnecessarily died to these circumstances already.

I wouldn't get any more pigs if there is a risk of the same tragic, dramatic & painful death. But you could adopt a pig for Charlie at anytime when you have the recommended cage size indoors, depending on his age an older pig might be better if he's young. Some rescues will allow introductions where Charlie himself can pick out a suitable partner.

Please read:
Guinea Pigs Social Life
https://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html

My guinea pigs are kept in a double story well secured cage that stays
permanently in the patio under shade.

The first one died because I also keep a small pen in the backyard in the grass
To allow for a couple of hours of play time in the grass. My housemate decided to put them out to play in the grass oneday not realizing that the shade had moved and it became
Quite sunny that day I went to take them back in there cage but I could see
They had already been affected by the sun I took them to the vet for oxygen therapy and only Charlie made it through.

The dog attacked happend randomly while they were playing in the pen and the dog managed to break into the backyard fence and break through the pen. Unfortunetly i didnt make it to them on time.

At the moment Charlie is inside the house with me in a medium sized cage

Again, keeping guinea pigs outside has a very high death rate, they are much more susceptible to illnesses which you may not be able to detect in time as they are out of sight. There are both human predators, insects & weather that can kill, injure or steal your pigs. It's common for animals to break into these hutches.

The guinea pigs cannot tell you when the weather is too cold, drafty or too hot. It's quite like leaving a small child outside in PJs all year around, they are not outside pets. I strongly advice you to not get any more pigs if you cannot keep them in a safe, suitable environment.Two pigs have already payed with their life. And please never leave them unsupervised in an enclosure outside again.

My guinea pigs are kept in a double story well secured cage that stays permanently in the patio under shade.

Clearly not as well-secured as you think it is.

My housemate decided to put them out to play in the grass oneday not realizing that the shade had moved

Sounds like they were left outside unsupervised if it went unnoticed that the shade had moved.

So you are 0 for 2 with keeping guinea pigs outside. Sounds like it's time to rethink that plan.

At the moment Charlie is inside the house with me in a medium sized cage

Define "medium-sized".

Yes, I am still curious as to the housing situation of your pigs as others.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.