Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fruit Is it safe to feed cherry stems?

Precia

Cavy Slave
Felix loves cherry stems. Are they safe to give to him as an occasional treat?

You want to give him the stems? I'm not 100% sure but I do believe that would be a choking hazard.

Well, he stole a cherry off of my plate (I was sitting on the floor) and only ate the stem. He didn't want anything to do with the cherry, just the stem! And then the cheeky little boy came back for seconds! He looked so proud when he nabbed the cherry from my plate. I just wanted to make sure the stem wasn't dangerous to give him. If they are safe then I can use them as an occasional treat.

Well, he stole a cherry off of my plate (I was sitting on the floor) and only ate the stem. He didn't want anything to do with the cherry, just the stem! And then the cheeky little boy came back for seconds! He looked so proud when he nabbed the cherry from my plate. I just wanted to make sure the stem wasn't dangerous to give him. If they are safe then I can use them as an occasional treat.

Hilarious! I have no idea about the cherry stem, but this story is great :)

I just wouldn't bother giving them anything that wasn't on the nutrition sticky. There's plenty of variety on there to keep a pig satisfied. I'd also make it so that pigs can't accidentally get to *your* food. There have been many times where people left plates in the floor,couch with food still on them and their pig got a hold of it. I don't understand why it keeps happening. It's totally preventable.

Not to rain on your cuteness parade, but what if the stems *were* poisonous? You wouldn't be giving us such a "funny" story, then.

I just wouldn't bother giving them anything that wasn't on the nutrition sticky. There's plenty of variety on there to keep a pig satisfied. I'd also make it so that pigs can't accidentally get to *your* food. There have been many times where people left plates in the floor,couch with food still on them and their pig got a hold of it. I don't understand why it keeps happening. It's totally preventable.

Actually this is how I get him to try new foods. I sit on the floor during his floor time with a plate of whatever I want him to try. (celery, bell pepper, cherries, etc.) He likes to eat whatever I'm eating so it helps to introduce him to new veggies/fruits. I didn't intend for him to get a cherry with a stem, it just happened.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.