Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is it okay...?

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
to get males neutered because you want to keep them in the same cage with your females?

Is that a selfish reason to neuter?:?:

I am not sure if I will have any males with Nibblers litter, but I am guessing there will be at least one. I really do not want to get rid of them because I know I will worry about the care of the guinea pig if it is not in my house. My hubby of course thinks I am crazy to want to keep them, but I don't think there is anything wrong with keeping them. Sure beats trying to rehome them.

clotho

Cavy Slave
You could neuter one male and keep him with a group of females. Trying to put two males who are neutered in with females most likely would not work. The males would probably fight. The only cases I've heard of which worked with more than one male was when the females greatly outnumbered the males and they were freerange (huge area).

If you have more than one male, you could keep them together in a separate cage. You can always stack cages if space is an issue. I have males and females (in separate cages) in the same room and it works just fine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.