Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Is it okay to not feed pellets for a short period of time?

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Due to many unfortunate & expensive events this year I'm very low on money, and they are just about to run out of pellets. The only acceptable brand we have here is Oxbow, but it's very expensive due to all shipping costs included.

How long is it safe to not feed pellets? I'm not planning on it permanently, but just until my economy is more stable. I really don't want to dip into their vet fund, something ALWAYS happens when you do.

Pellets are the least important part of a guinea pig diet. As long as they have veggies and access to unlimited hay, going without pellets is okay.

The worry is the horribly bad diet they had for the first 8-9 months of their life before I managed to rescue them, the combination of proper pellets & veggies has made a huge difference, besides better quality hay.

While they do get varied veggies daily per Ly's diet chart, they are still quite picky & there is only so much variety they allow. If I remove the boost of the pellets, I'm scared they might get a deficiency of some mineral/vitamin they don't get enough of from their veggies.

I guess what I'm thinking is when I feed a small amount of pellets, I know for sure they get the nutrients they need. But it's safe for a few months?

They should be fine for a while -- some people don't feed pellets at all. It's called a HAFF diet -- hay and fresh foods. Just make sure they get a variety of veggies, and it wouldn't hurt to supplement their vitamin C.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.