Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is it okay if bunnies are different sizes?

shevonne

Cavy Slave
I have a 6 month lop eared bunny. I don't know if he's a mini lop or not. He's about medium size and I know he wants a friend. At first I was thinking of getting him a mini rex but the more I see them I really want a lion head. They're so cute and they don't get too big, that way I can have the best of both worlds! But I don't know if thats selfish because they won't be the same size. Could that lead to problems: i.e; do not become partners, lion head rabbit could get hurt by my bigger rabbit. :?: Also does age make a big difference? Like if I get a baby and Rocky is already half a year?:?:
I appreciate any advice, thanks!

PurplePoe

Cavy Slave
If by medium size you mean around six pounds or so, I don't think there would be that drastic a difference. I have a 6 pound mini rex that lives with a 10 pound American Chinchilla (yes, that's a rabbit breed and not some sort of mutant giant chinchilla) and the size difference has never been an issue. The only thing was a problem is that even though their personalities meshed well, Corbin wasn't neutered when I got him and so pestered Jolie (who was spayed) constantly; since the neutering we've been conflict free.

Poe

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Two unneutered males can be a hard bond to make no matter what the size. I recommend neutering you male and adopting a spayed female.

Size doesn't matter. Love is love no matter what. The only drawback would be a large rabbit humping a much smaller rabbit. However, once the male is neutered and you have waited a minimum of 3 weeks for the hormones to die down there shouldn't be too much humping although some is to be expected because it is not only a sexual response but also means "I want you" and "I am the boss".

Ligio

Cavy Slave
I have a 7 month female lop eared bunny and 1 1/2 month ago I got a baby male mini bunny and they got bonded in just one week. Size or age doesn't matter at all, as long as you introduce the new bunny to the old one with the right steps. After that they will sleep side by side and do many things together.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.