Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting Is it ok to hit ur guinea pig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

missbunnyminaj

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
My guinea pig is very aggressive and mean 2 the other guinea pigs. My older sister hit her on the head with the tv remote (not hard) to make her stop fightin the other ones. This was not cool with me, but the guinea pig stopped fightin and went into her play-house. She didnt seem hurt but i was mad @ ma sis 4 bein mean :mad:

im sorry absolutely not they are very delicate animals. it is absurd to hit a guinea pig with anything let alone with a remote control. i think that you should let your sister know she can accomplish more damage rather than "discipline" to such a delicate creature . NOT ok. especially on their fragile heads!!

Absolutely not. Hold old is your sister? I'd let one of your parents know so they can explain to her that's not acceptable....ever. The issue with your guinea pigs is probably due to lack of space or possibly mites. How large is your cage?

idk how large it is we seperated them because the fights got ugly and i only flicked her on the butt one time cuz she bit Diamond's ear :( She seems to only get the message when u flick her

idk how large it is we seperated them because the fights got ugly and i only flicked her on the butt one time cuz she bit Diamond's ear :( She seems to only get the message when u flick her

Guinea pigs are not dogs, they cannot be taught to change aggressive or dominant behavior. All you accomplish is making her fear humans, causing stress, and hitting her is animal abuse.

You most likely need an adequate sized cage to solve this, see the recommendations here:
Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home

i cant afford to get a 8 foot cage, how much do they cost? Trust me she will NEVER b afraid of us, I am more afraid of HER than she is of me.

I think you need to get one of your parents involved to teach you how to properly care for a pet. There's a lot of information on here about guinea pigs so you'd gain a lot of info by reading the threads on here. No sort of physical punishment is appropriate for them. You need to provide them with the proper environment and they'll respond better that way. Occasionally, you'll have a dominant one that can't be housed with another and you solve that by having it in an adequately sized cage, separated from the others. Upload photos of your set up if you're serious about wanting help.

The cages here on this site are very cheep, and the best for guinea pigs. You can either buy the stuff to make your own or buy a pre-made one. Hitting, flicking, etc your guinea pig is going to do nothing ​to fix her behavior if anything it will just injure your guinea and teach her to hate you (Yes she can become afraid of you, even if you think different)

My mom dosent care about my guinea pig and when i asked her to buy one of the cages ont the site she said no. All she cares about is her boyfriend and spendin money on herself

You don't have to buy one of the cages on the site. You can get the materials and make one yourself.

Perhaps you can contact any guinea pig rescues in your area for help.

Your guinea pig is going to become defensive for being treated that way, and that will lead to aggression. Only touch her in a gentle way.

If you are unable to get a larger cage, your guinea pigs may get into more fights and one will end up hurt which will cost hundreds of dollars for a vet visit. If you are unable to get a larger cage, it may be in the best interest of the guinea pigs to re-home them with someone else. Again, you can check with any local guinea pig rescues for assistance.

I'm sorry but I have to agree. I think it's in the best interest of the guinea pigs to go to a new home. Pets are not for everyone and if you can't treat them humanely and provide for their realistic needs, not just what's convenient for you... Then you really should not have a pet. I don't intend to be harsh, but I do hope you will ask your parents to help you find a proper home for them.

Im not gonna give them up just because of my dumb sister. They have their issues but they r my family and i dont give up on family. Im just gonna keep them sepratted and hope they learn how 2 get along later on.

Im not gonna give them up just because of my dumb sister. They have their issues but they r my family and i dont give up on family. Im just gonna keep them sepratted and hope they learn how 2 get along later on.

If you cannot guarantee their safety, or keep them in a proper environment & care, it's in the best interest of the animal to get proper care elsewhere. You are not "giving up on them", you are ensuring they get the life & care they need & deserve. The mature decision should be in the interest of the animals.

If the culprit of the behavior is a too small cage, it will not sort itself out with time. How large is the cage, and how large is the area you are keeping her in now?

Well please don't flick them! They need a bigger cage and gentle touch only. Try to image what life is like for them and treat them how you would want to be treated. I know how siblings can be. I have three kids that sometimes fight, and no you should never give up on family. But also have empathy for all creatures and lovingly care for those under your guardianship.

If you cannot guarantee their safety, or keep them in a proper environment & care, it's in the best interest of the animal to get proper care elsewhere. You are not "giving up on them", you are ensuring they get the life & care they need & deserve. The mature decision should be in the interest of the animals.

If the culprit of the behavior is a too small cage, it will not sort itself out with time. How large is the cage, and how large is the area you are keeping her in now?
I would guess at about 4' long 2 ft wide

How many guinea pigs do you have?
I've made my cage for $25.
$15 for grids
$10 for coroplast

If you plan to put them back together, introduce them in a neutral area.

Read this page:
Guinea Pigs Social Life

Introduction is about half way down the page.

Also to love is to be selfless. Keep the piggies if you can show them proper love. Don't keep them out of selfishness if you aren't going to provide for them.

Also to love is to be selfless. Keep the piggies if you can show them proper love. Don't keep them out of selfishness if you aren't going to provide for them.
im sorry but i dont own any money its my moms money and i cant do anything about that. Is there anything ELSE i can do without me havin 2 steal from my parents

You can give them to a home that would be able to care for them properly, that doesn't cost anything, and is the best thing you can do for your guinea pigs.

nope, not giving up on them

Status
Not open for further replies.