Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites is it lice or pieces of pine shavings?

Sl and S

Cavy Slave
my guinea pig in quarentine has little specs on her fur. there arent any scabs or bumps or anything that i can feel nor is she losing any hair. what do lice look like? also could this just be pine shavings? and if this does sound like lice what is a good treatment? what all should i look for to identify lice?
thanks

My guess is dandruf (I am a really bad speller) or bedding. As long as she is not scratching, bitiing, or really uncomfortable, I think your ok.

Lice crawl, so you can see them moving if you look carefully. Pine shavings are too big to be a parasite. She could have dandruff. Is she scratching?

dandruff is exactly what it looks like! i didnt even think they could get it. i have not seen her scratch. if this is dandruff, which is what i think it is now, is there anything i should do for her? ill take a closer look and make sure they arent moving and ill sit with her a little longer to make sure she isnt scratching.

i bet its the pine shavings causing dandruff bc she didnt have it on aspen bedding.

Pine shavings don't cause dandruff. If you think it's dandruff, bathe them with either Nizoral or Malaseb shampoo. Just be sure to rinse them VERY well afterwards, and don't get any in their eyes or ears.

well its not lice, but i did notice her scratch once. would a guinea pig scratch from dry skin causing dandruff? she's not loosing hair and doesnt have patches of hair missing so i dont think its mites or a fungal infection. im going to hopefully put her in my sisters' room so that they can keep a closer eye on her and make sure she's not scratching a lot. maybe it was just an occasional scratch?

also if it were mights would it be ok to move her into the same room as my current guinea pig so i can keep a closer eye on her?

like to make sure she isnt itching.

Guinea pigs do scratch occasionally.

Why don't your guinea pigs live together? Is this one in quarantine?

Please capitalize your sentences in your posts.

i really need help. i wanted to introduce them tomorrow but the dandruff and the itch i saw behind the ears has me worried, but i cant watch her all day bc she's in another room. i tried to see if my grandpa would keep an eye on her but he said she primarily hides, which i know she doesnt.

Guinea pigs do scratch occasionally.

Why don't your guinea pigs live together? Is this one in quarantine?

Please capitalize your sentences in your posts.
Yes this one is in quarentine, i was planning on introducing them tomorrow, but now im not sure if i should.

An occasional scratch is no problem. If her skin were itching, you'd see insistent, frequent, rather desperate scratching.

oh ok do you think itd be safe to put her in my room with the other guinea pig to keep a closer eye on her? theyd be atleast 10-20 feet from eachother.

I know people say when in quarantine that being in the same room is a no no. I read it around on the forums some where. My best guess would be to keep them separate till you are 100% sure, better safe then sorry.

Well unless i see serious itching, tomorrow is introduction day. I've looked and looked for signs of any illnesses, and nothing till now, plus if its mites it wouldn't spread being in the same room. It could only spread from being where one's been or with each other.

Looks like I'll move her to my room for closer observation for maybe an hour or so to make sure she isn't scratching. Then I'll introduce them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.