Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is it just me or are those chew toys a waste?

Beloved89

Cavy Slave
What's the point of having those chew sticks and Ka-bob toys? I have had small animals all my life and none of my past and present pets chew on those. Rodents are suppose to have toys to chew on but none of mine even touch them lol. Is this the same for you? Are there better chew toys out there?

Yes! My piggies are the same! i bought them so many chew toys nd they never touch them, they dont even nibble on them! they only like those grass balls nd thats it!

One of my piggies used to chew orange wood carrot. After she chewed 2, I purchased new wood chews, but she is not interested in those any more. Maybe because it's not shaped and colored as carrot ?

Some pigs will chew wood and some won't. If they don't, then by all means save your money. If they eat hay all day like they are supposed to, then their teeth will most likely. Be fine.

Thank God there are others out there! I thought I just had girls who were "mentally off," (in other words, "weird"). The only toys they'll "play" with, and by "play" with I mean chew to bits, is a grass ball and a stick ball that's actually a cat toy. They won't touch anything else.

And in the year and some months that I've had mice (in total, 14 mice), only one, Quiana, has bothered with a toy, and that was a stick dumbbell thing (she'll chew it to obliteration). Sheldon has played with the colorful "puzzle" ball, pulling out the tiny little sticks that hold the bigger sticks together, but that's an on-again-off-again thing. And yet, I keep buying toys.

Thank God there are others out there! I thought I just had girls who were "mentally off," (in other words, "weird").
hahaha me too! i thought maybe i just had some weird piggies haaha

I bought Mufasa some wood toys in addition to his hay and treats like dried oranges and sweet potato sticks. He loves the dried food and eats hay constantly, but he's only ever paid attention to one wood toy. it was a colorful one with a bell, and he growled at it and attacked it and seemed to love dominating it. Other than that, he ignores wooden stuff totally.

I bought Mufasa some wood toys in addition to his hay and treats like dried oranges and sweet potato sticks. He loves the dried food and eats hay constantly, but he's only ever paid attention to one wood toy. it was a colorful one with a bell, and he growled at it and attacked it and seemed to love dominating it. Other than that, he ignores wooden stuff totally.

FYI, they're not supposed to have dried fruit, it's too high in sugar for them. Fresh veggies and fruits are what they need. I don't know specifically about the sweet potato sticks, but would venture to guess, and that's just a guess, that that's not good for him either, probably has sugar also. On the food chart on here it says sweet potato, fresh, is a one to two times per month food anyway, it's very high in sugar, vit A and oxalates, the latter i believe translates into upping your risk for stones. I know something more knowledgable will come along soon, or you could ask one of the mods or people like bpatters, SurfingPigs, Ly, etc. Good luck with your boy!!

I know about the fruit prohibition but caved and bought the dried oranges as an occasional for the vitamin C (I'm paranoid he won't get enough). Given the way he loves 'em, I can see that they must be loaded with sugar so no more of that! He eats his fresh veggies every day, so logically I know he's probably getting his C from those, but I'm a paranoid pig parent.

I'll be interested to see what others say about the sweet potato sticks, too. I've been giving those only intermittently so hopefully they might be okay as a special, infrequent treat since he's very big on them.

Just about everything they sell as treats in the store are bad for them, crazy, huh?!? On the SP sticks, i would check the ingredients on the package, but i would probably for sure without even looking say that they have preservatives, additives, etc, which aren't good for them, plus the info on the food chart about them would scare me away also. I'm not knowledgeable to comment on them as an very occasional treat, sorry. :) You can give fresh orange slices about once a week, my boys LOVE them. Also apples. I've found that my boys love fresh veggies as treats much more than they ever liked treats as treats!! I give them things that i don't give very often, such as parsley (too much calcium) as treats because they LOVE it. Just keeping reading on this site and on GL and you're on the right track!!

Dried fruit has way too much concentrated sugar in it, the nutrients are very decreased from dehydrating, and people tend to feed more because "It's just a small piece." The sweet potato (yam) doesn't look too bad to me from reviewing the food chart, but I think there are better choices as far as nutrition. By all means, one or two pieces a week should be fine, and dehydrated veggies last up to 6 months, so just feed slowly. Personally, I am a huge fan of dehydrating, especially when produce is in season asa way to reduce waste and save money. I just feed small peices to my bunny tho' instead of to my pigs.

I think we all buy toys for our pigs, and it's just a marketing trick for pet stores and manufacturers to make money. Mine have never touched any of their toys or ka-bobs. Maybe only those pets that tend toward problems with their teeth chew on them as a way to file their teeth down? Anyway, the one thing I do notice is those woven stick huts? My girls chewed their way through a tunnel and a hut in about 2 months. So I'm planning to get one of those every now and then as a "chew" toy for them. Otherwise, save your money.

Oh, and BTW, store bought dehydrqated fruit and veggies have a TON of added salt, sugar, and preservatives. That's why I make my own.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.