Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is anyone here a SINGLE pig owner?

Moongazer

Cavy Slave
We have one little boy, just a few weeks old.I read the info about Piggy social life.I am thinking of getting another little buddy for him. Right now, I may still be able to get his brother.He is about 4-5 weeks old (so is his brother- same litter).

He seems very happy, but I keep wondering if he would be happier yet with a pal.Advice? Opinions? Thanks.

I am! I bought just the one because I didn't know much about them... but shes prego so she will have some company soon! But for sure two is better than one! Getting his brother would be best...

Litter-mates aren't always best, they still go through puberty together and may fight. It sounds good though. I just put my two boys together and they love having the company. They aren't littermates, I just have one older boy and ne younger. Hwever, many people have had their boys get along through puberty, so I would definitely try it! Just remember to quarantine!

I am as well, for the same reasons Moongazer had. I saw Noah at Petsmart, one of the owners was just mystified by him b/c he is a texal (I am pretty sure) and the ones they usually get have a smooth coat, the rosette on the top of the head, or rosettes all over. She enjoyed talking to my roomate and I, so she wanted to show him to us, I held him and fell in love with him. When I got home my boyfriends roomate saw him and wanted one, but there were none like noah, however, their was a peruvian, who looked just like a skunk. So he bought him. Luckily, my roomate and I live next door to my boyfriend and his roomate, so Noah and Gizmo are constantly with each other, but my roomate and I are moving so I am going to have to buy him a buddy sometime.

Noah, seems pretty happy alone, but he is alot happier with Gizmo around. I would most definately look into buying him a buddy, only if you have room for a large cage. Noah and Gizzy get along fine in their big cages, but the one time I had to travel with both of them I had to put them both in a small cage (no they could not run around freely, my mom thinks rodents are gross) and they did not get along at all.

I had just one. I got another one, and my guinea is a lot more active now. They chase each other and run in and out of the tunnel. She wheeks a lot less. They aren't overly cuddly with each other, but I can tell they enjoy the company. Once I found them in the same hidey house together, that was cute.

Thank you for the responses so far.

Another question, about quarentine.

If I do get his brother, and I get him this week- Will I still need to quarantine them? They were together a week ago? I apologize if this is a silly question, I just want to be sure I do everything right. Thanks for your help.

Is there any chance of getting a cage mate from a rescue rather than a pet store? You may have some problems, as someone said, they will go through puberty together. Expect some fighting. Sorry, not sure about the quarantine

Also, please consider getting an older boar. Boars can be hard enough. But having two going through puberty at the same time can be rough. I would suggest nt buying his brother, but rather going to a rescue or shelter, and adopting an adult boar, or at the very least, one that is at least 10 months old. If you do this, you should quarentine them.

I was a single pig owner until this past Monday when I finally adopted a little girl for my (neutered) boy and it was the best thing I've done for him! He's so much happier and more active, he simply adores her. They chase each other and "chat" all the time. If your cage is big enough, I would definately recommend getting at least 1 more pig :) He'll be happier, and you'll have more fun watching/playing with them.

My mom-in-law has a rare, loner "grumpy guinea pig". She fought with every pig she was paired up with at the rescue. She lives by herself in a 2x4 C&C. By watching her, you'd think she had a busddy since she spends a lot of time running and popcorning about.

It was the perfect choice for her since her health is not that good and two pigs seemed intimidating to her. (We have contingency plans should her health fail and she was unable to take care of the pig.)

I'd reckon less than 1% of all guinea pigs exhibit this type of behavior. For the other 99%+ of the pig population, a buddy is the way to go. We have two trios here.

Thoughts on companionship ~

My soon-to-be-10 month old boars (littermates), whom I've had since they were five weeks, have never squabbled aside from the normal and expected dominance displays, which are brief and not intense. Perhaps I've been lucky. My other pair of boars never did either, but they were both over 9 months when adopted.

My boys very seldom huddle or cuddle together, but when I pick one of them up from the cage the other always wheeks and shrieks (hey! take me too! don't leave me alone here!) :)

They are a pure delight to watch when one of them gets frisky, because the energy is immediately communicated to the other and they become a pair of racing, popcorning clowns, complete with the vocalizations. You might never see this extent of joy and energy in a solitary pig.

Of course, two pigs means twice the veggies, hay, and poop, but I find it the way to go. :)

Our little guy Gizmo is SO much happier since we got him some company. We were going to go get another littermate too, but then adopted from someone who couldn't take care of their guy anymore.

Gizzy used to hide all the time in his cage and look bored, except when we took him outside. With Gadget around, he is a hyper active little guy, jumping and wheeking and talking all the time.

We can't keep them in the same cage yet. But they do talk through the bars all the times, especially if one of them was "taken up" for lap time. Gizzy has been bothering Gadget to no end with mounting and rumbling, and quite frankly Gadget does NOT like Gizzy in his cage. He puts up with him outside and they even play together a little, but when Gizzy does a home invasion Gadget is no longer a mellow pig!

But they both appreciate the company, I think, and I'm sure in a few more days or so, they will be even better together.

Some of you may have Read Chary's story on GL about her attack pick. Not only does Rain attack other pigs on site, but she also goes after the cat. She's afraid the cat is gonna get hurt one day. So, Rain is definately at solo pig.

I read that story. Very funny stuff.

Y'know, there's a joke about Soviet Russia in there somewhere.

There are some piggies that are anti-social, but since yours is so young, he would be well with an older male.

Well I just attempted getting a pal for Cujo and it turns out he was sick and died within 2 days. Cujo is almost 2 , and quite happy, but the people on this site that know alot convinced me to get him a buddy. I will not go through that again. Cujo seemed really pissed just knowing he was here and I can't risk losing Cujo from some illness he catches from another piggie.

Good luck.

mom to cujo said:
Well I just attempted getting a pal for Cujo and it turns out he was sick and died within 2 days. Cujo is almost 2 , and quite happy, but the people on this site that know alot convinced me to get him a buddy. I will not go through that again. Cujo seemed really pissed just knowing he was here and I can't risk losing Cujo from some illness he catches from another piggie.

Good luck.
If you're worried about illness, you can adopt from a rescue that has had pigs for long enough to know that they are healthy. I just adopted from amiable animals (https://www.petfinder.org/shelters/NY473.html) and the new pig is very healthy and my original pig is so happy to finally have a buddy. They still have a lot of healthy piggies who need homes, you might want to look into it :)

Thanks again everyone.

Well, His brother was already gone, but we are considereing an older male.

I have had a single pig twice in the past.I have also had one pair of brothers, and a Mommy daughter pair.

This little guy seems so happy by himself.He is so friendly and so vocal! He is jumping and flipping everywhere.He zips around the room at the speed of light during floortime, slowing down only to "pop".
I worry that bringing an a buddy might disrupt his happiness, but at the same time, I do not want take away any benefits of having a friend around.

My first single pig was an adopted long hair male that had been used only for breeding.He absolutely could not get along with other boy pigs.He was great by himself- spoiled rotton, but great.

Both pairs were terrific together.

Our most recent single was happy, but in hindsight, I wish he would have had a buddy in his last year.

We are still deciding.We are certainly keeping it open as an option.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.I hope your piggies are all doing well!

ChadWPB said:
I'd reckon less than 1% of all guinea pigs exhibit this type of behavior. For the other 99%+ of the pig population, a buddy is the way to go. We have two trios here.
Chad, I do have a question. My pig, a loner, is the sweetest pig, and he really likes the other pigs. BUT, no one gets along with him! He is currently in a 2x3 and really wants to join with all the other pigs, but no one likes him. Any ideas? I'm thinking of using my 2x6 seperated into a 2x3 2x3 next to his brother, would this work, if they got to know each other? If anyone has any suggestions, please tell me!

I got my first guinea, woofy, from a friend who was allergic. When I first saw her she was very shy and did not seem to like being held. We got Woofy a buddy, Taz, the same day from a pet store, (I know now that this isn't the best way, but we have no shelters around here) and she improved almost immediately (as soon as she displayed her dominance). Taz had babies about 4 weeks ago and we are keeping one and Woofy has never been happier.

I would definetely say that a buddy can greatly improved your guinea pig's social life.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.