Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Is alfalfa hay or timothy hay better?

Jazlyn

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Just wondering. 'Cause I have some of both and they for sure seem to like the timothy better.

Thanks.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Alfalfa is high in calcium and should be fed sparingly if at all. It's fine to feed unlimited timothy hay.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
If your guinea pig is older than 6 months then definitely stick to the Timothy. Alfalfa is very high in calcium and while that is good for humans its not so good for guinea pigs because they get kidney stones from too much. If your guinea pig is young and under 6 months old then alfalfa is a good choice. Hope that helps. Good luck!

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
You still need to feed a grass hay though. Alfalfa is merely a supplement.

kavykeeper

Cavy Slave
Just wondering. 'Cause I have some of both and they for sure seem to like the timothy better.

Thanks.

Once your guinea pig is 6 months old, I would completely eliminate alfalfa from its diet. I would switch to all timothy based pellets, too. Cavy Cuisine is my number one choice, followed by Kaytee Complete. The high calcium content in alfalfa can lead to bladder or kidney stones. The two exceptions to feeding alfalfa to are babies and nursing mothers. Babies can have severe bone issues as adults if they don't get enough calcium in their diet.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Cavy Cuisine is my number one choice, followed by Kaytee Complete.

Kaytee is not a good pellet at all. Kleenmama's formula is the best out there, followed by Oxbow. Do not feed Kaytee.

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
I would switch to all timothy based pellets, too. Cavy Cuisine is my number one choice, followed by Kaytee Complete.

While Cavy Cuisine (Oxbow) is a good pellet, there are others out there that are as good, or better, NONE of which include any of the Kaytee varieties. My preference, in order, are Kleenmama's (online only), Oxbow/Sweet Meadow (these seem to be comparable), and then the Mazuri 5664 (which is only sold in 25 lb bags). The Mazuri is alfalfa based, so it needs to be limited to 1/8 cup per day per pig in adults. Kaytee (even the "Timothy Complete") is not an acceptable brand, as it contains harmful ingredients, including a potential carcinogen!

Jazlyn

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Thanks everyone. I have 2 babies and 3 adults. So I guess alfalfa for the babies and timothy for the adults?

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone. I have 2 babies and 3 adults. So I guess alfalfa for the babies and timothy for the adults?

Sure but the babies need unlimited timothy as well, not just alfalfa.

Jazlyn

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Oh really? Okay thanks, i'll do that.

leyley904
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Jazlyn

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Well I have 5 piggies. 2 boys & 3 girls. And 3 adults and 2 babies. I have my boys in one cage & my girls in another. I have 1 baby girl & 2 adult girls. I have 1 baby boy & 1 adult boy. So, they're not separated by age but my gender..so I don't know how to JUST give the alfalfa to my babies..

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Feed the babies some alfalfa hay during lap time and leave only timothy hay in the cage.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Avoid anything Kaytee or Animal Planet. They are low quality foods with too many fillers, low quality ingredients and potentially cancer causing ingredients. Animal Planet line is nothing more than Kaytee under a different name. They contain the exact same ingredients.

leyley904
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Kaytee hay isn't cream of the crop. It can be used but it's not ideal. When you look at the bags, you want to open them and smell the hay, make sure it's mostly green also. If the bag has more brown or doesn't have a good grassy smell, then leave it on the shelf.

The food lines are absolutely to be avoided at all costs.

Jazlyn

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
thanks akstrohm! I'll start doing that.

kavykeeper

Cavy Slave
While Cavy Cuisine (Oxbow) is a good pellet, there are others out there that are as good, or better, NONE of which include any of the Kaytee varieties. My preference, in order, are Kleenmama's (online only), Oxbow/Sweet Meadow (these seem to be comparable), and then the Mazuri 5664 (which is only sold in 25 lb bags). The Mazuri is alfalfa based, so it needs to be limited to 1/8 cup per day per pig in adults. Kaytee (even the "Timothy Complete") is not an acceptable brand, as it contains harmful ingredients, including a potential carcinogen!

I'd like more information on the ingredient that is the carcinogen in Kaytee Complete. I've never heard that before and would like to research it. I would not recommend Mazuri for any guinea pigs other than those 6 months or younger or nursing females since adults should not have the alfalfa in their diets. Even timothy pellets should be limited to no more than 1/8 cup per day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I'd like more information on the ingredient that is the carcinogen in Kaytee Complete. I've never heard that before and would like to research it. I would not recommend Mazuri for any guinea pigs other than those 6 months or younger or nursing females since adults should not have the alfalfa in their diets. Even timothy pellets should be limited to no more than 1/8 cup per day.

Timothy pellets can be given at 1/8 and up to a 1/4 cup per pig. Mazurri 5664 can be given to adults but strictly limited to 1/8 cup.

Kaytee is a horrible pellet with many fillers. It contains ethyoxin that is a known carcinogen that is used as a preservative.

I don't know where you are getting some of your information, but Kaytee is not recommended on this forum. I'm sure Ly&Pigs could give you a wealth of more information as she is the Diet Queen and knows a ton about a guinea pigs nutritional needs. She has a lot of research and time put into her information.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I've fed Mazuri 5664 to my pigs their entire lives that I've had them and as long as it's limited to no more than 1/8 cup per pig per day in pigs over 6 months, it's fine. My girls have never had stones or sludge. I've had Chatty since she was 3-4 weeks old and she's now nearing 5 1/2. CoCo was approximately 6-7 months old when I got her and she is now nearing 6. I've also had several other pigs through the years who were also fed Mazuri 5664 and never had sludge/stones.

I've researched pigs diets for many years now and would never give false/bad info to anyone.