Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Irregular sized poos? Not sure how to correct this.

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Hi guys,
My girls are, to say the least, well fed. My mom feeds them much more than I do at dinner time. For the past two days one or both of them have had irregular sized poo. They are about half the size or so, oval shaped, same medium-dark brown color just smaller. They are out of a few of the normal veggies but I have been spirtzing their food with water to make sure they get enough water and they've had hefty amounts of what we have left. I have increased their food amount sine Tuesday night when I noticed and it's still the same. They normally get Cilantro, bell pepper, cherry tomato, baby carrot, thin cucumber slice ea, green or red leaf lettuce, and endive. Lately it's only been the lettuce, a larger slice of cucumber, a bit of yellow bell pepper, and a carrot. I don't know what is going on or if I should be worried yet, any advice?
Oh by the way, the scale is broken (cheap thing) and I have yet to find one with the bowl shape in my price range in store so I do not know their exact weights as of now. They are still eating like champions, running around, bickering as usual.

I can't really help you with the poops, but you can just get a regular scale and either zero out a bowl, then put them in, or weigh the bowl then pigs in bowl and subtract the bowl's weight. It doesn't really have to be a scale with the bowl built in.

We had a digital kitchen scale and the glass plate shattered. It got knocked off the table... That was the only one, we don't have one for us. Not a fan of seeing my weight haha.
Got paid last night and went shopping for veggies after work today and I'm hopeful it goes back to normal.
I was thinking though. It started the same night after I ran out of KMs Bluegrass and had to buy Oxbow Timothy. It's hard, and not very green so it can't be too nutritious... Could this be the problem? KM is behind and I ordered Monday and was told to expect my order to be shipped out Tuesday afternoon, so the girls will have this oxbow hay until friday or so.

How much hay are they getting? It's more important for them to have long strand grass hay all the time than it is to have vegetables.

I'd cut the cucumber completely out for a while and see if that helps. If that doesn't do it, cut back on the amount of veggies they get -- no more than a cup a day per pig. If you had to, they could go completely without vegetables, but they can't go without hay.

That seems opposite of what I suspected. I figured smaller poos means lack of moisture and nutrition. I have two hay racks I fill in the morning and at night. They have hay 24/7, never without it. It's long but it's stalky, hard, and yellowish hay. Still better than Kaytee brand, but not by much.

How much hay are they getting? It's more important for them to have long strand grass hay all the time than it is to have vegetables.

I'd cut the cucumber completely out for a while and see if that helps. If that doesn't do it, cut back on the amount of veggies they get -- no more than a cup a day per pig. If you had to, they could go completely without vegetables, but they can't go without hay.

Do they drink from water bottles? If so, you don't need to put extra water on their veggies.

And smaller poos doesn't necessarily mean poor nutrition. Some pigs just have smaller ones. It may indeed be the change from KM to Oxbow, but you may have to wait a little longer for the KM hay -- they've had major problems getting their last few shipments in, but be patient and it will eventually arrive.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.