Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions!

LunarOrca

Cavy Gazer
Hello all!
I'm new to the guinea pig thing. I'm currently a graduate student and have wanted a dog for forever but just do not currently have a reliable enough schedule to have one. After doing a lot of research about guinea pigs, I became absolutely charmed by the little creatures and thought they would be a good pet for a busy graduate student. I have two boys, named Rutabaga and Arugula (pictured here). I also call them Baga and Ru for short.
The bonding thing is a little mystifying to me. I've had them for about two weeks now. They'll both eat out of my hand and occasionally Baga will let me pet him under his chin but they both HATE me picking them up and my attempts to tempt them into a bed or a cuddle pouch so that I can pick them up more easily have failed. Ru has even tooth chattered at me before :(.
I talk to them everyday, sit by their cage and hand feed them veggies every morning, and then every evening we try to do the lap time thing. It seems like once they are in my lap they are fine (no happy sounds, but they'll eat and seem generally content) but picking them up is a struggle that no one is happy about.
I know we are still in early days here and I need to be patient but I could really use some positive affirmation and/or advice. Am I doing things right so far? Do you have any advice for how to lure guinea pigs into a bed/cuddle pouch when food does not work? Or how do you pick them up in a way that they don't hate so much?
Their exercise pen comes in today and I'm hoping that if I can sit in it with them and have interactions more on their terms that they'll grow more used to me but I am not looking forward to the struggle of getting them in and out of said pen.
One last thing, they both nibble at my fingers. From what I've read biting isn't really normal from guinea pigs. It doesn't hurt for now but should I be discouraging this behavior somehow. Do they think I'm made of mango?
Anyway, nice to meet you all and I'm looking forward to learning more from this community.
Pictures of the boys are below (Ru is all black and Baga has a red/brown patch on his head):
[GuineaPigCages.com] Introductions![GuineaPigCages.com] Introductions!

Welcome!

Just be patient. It takes a long time for guinea pigs to warm up to you.

Don't let them nibble your fingers. They don't have hands to explore with, so they do it with their mouths. But they've got razor sharp teeth, and you don't want to be bitten. It's far easier to prevent a bad habit from forming than it is to break it after it's established.

Just an FYI -- that looks like a smallish pet store cage, and no pet store cage is large enough for males, much less two males going into adolescence. They need at least 8-10 square feet, and more is better.

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

Also, please double space between your paragraphs. A lot of people will just skip "wall of text" posts. You'll get more, and better, responses if your posts are easier to read. Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.