Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introduction and question

fernm

Cavy Slave
Hi! I am new to guinea pigs and have been learning so much on this site and forum and I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I have a nearly-6 year old daughter, and my husband and I were thinking about getting a guinea pig for her as a pet for Christmas. Boy, were we WRONG!

I have been doing my homework, and as it turns out, we have been approved to adopt a PAIR of guinea pigs, but no way are they going to be a pet for our daughter -- they will become members of our family!

I am prepared to be the piggies' primary caretaker, and am browsing the forum to look for more information on proper nutrition, types of bedding (fleece looks good to me), safe-but-fun ideas for floor time, tips on grooming, and especially ways in which young children can safely interact with guinea pigs.

My husband is getting ready to build the largest C&C cage we can accommodate (I look at the pet store cages now and can't imagine what I was thinking!) and we are eagerly awaiting the time when we meet our new family members.

My question to all of you is, what is the most important thing you wish you had known before you adopted your guinea pigs? Or what would you do differently from the start if you could?

Thanks!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to GPC!

My question to all of you is, what is the most important thing you wish you had known before you adopted your guinea pigs? Or what would you do differently from the start if you could?
I think if the word "adopted" was changed to acquired, you will find that many would say that they wished they'd known about overpopulation, adoption and rescues/shelters. The second question for me would be to have researched beforehand.

YayPiggies

Cavy Slave
Before I got my pigs I believe I posted a thread that had the exact same question. I was going to get one pigs with a pet store cage as well- It's sorta freaky to see someone travelling along the exact same path!

As for 'what would you do differently', I expected something specific, like don't feed them too much *blank*, etc. However now that I have pigs I would have to say don't get your hopes up. I expected pigs that would popcorn all day long and cuddle and run around the house and fleece that would wick perfectly and grids that were easy to put together.... you get the point. Your pigs will do all of those things with PATIENCE. When you bring them home they will most likely be shy, inactive, even aggresive pigs like mine were when I first adopted them. It's been nearly 2 months and they're still in their shells. Only now have they started to run around a bit during floortime and wheek for food. My advice to you is stay humble and don't expect too much. Your pigs will turn into the pigs of your dreams if you work with them along the way! Good luck and good for you to have changed so much. I can see you really want the best for your future pigs.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Personally, I would not have done anything differently. I have adopted two females and have loved each minute of it. But, they are truly much more care than I ever imagined and, while we are not travelling due to my job loss and a recession, their care when we do travel is really a concern. A cat you can leave with food and a litterbox, these pets you do have to have someone come in to tend them each day.

fernm

Cavy Slave
My advice to you is stay humble and don't expect too much. Your pigs will turn into the pigs of your dreams if you work with them along the way!

Thank you for this wise suggestion; I will take it to heart.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
Welcome!
I would have done exactly what you HAVE done - research! I wasn't looking for piggies when my two boys came to me, but I didn't do any research until I had them for awhile. Then I found this site and EVERYBODY'S life changed; bigger cage, better food, closer observation (they can be medically fragile), less room in the fridge for people food. I would have also skipped all types of bedding and gone straight to fleece. They are not an inexpensive or disposable pet, as a lot of people seem to think, and I can tell that you have an appreciation of that.