Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introduction 2 Piggies?

dial919

Cavy Slave
Hi, I am new here and just got our first piggie last night at Petco. Please do not bash me. This little piggie had a cold when she was younger and now has a "tilt" to her neck because the original owner did not take care of her. Petco had her for a while and although they showed her to numerous people, no one would adopt her. Everyone wanted a "perfect" piggie. My daughter saw her and fell in love so now she is ours - they gave her to us - FREE. They just wanted to give her a home.
From what I read, she needed a buddy. Our local humane society had one and we went down today and got her. I have them both in a 2 x 4 C&C cage with a divider in the middle. For a while they just ignored each other but have sniffed each other several times. They seem curious about each other and so far have not shown any agression at all. One is 4 months old, other is 7 - both female. We only had the one for appox. 12 hours before we got the other one.
My question is how long are you suppose to keep up the dividers?
Thank you

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
you should seperate them both right away, in diffrent rooms. You need to quaarintine, though they may both look healthy, guinea pigs are great at hiding sicknesses. You need to keep them in quarintine from one another for two weeks. Then you can introduce them on neutral territory.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
It's actually probably already to late to quarantine them if they are in a divided 2x4. You are going to have to watch them both carefully for any signs of illness as well as watch for mites. I would say take down the divider because they have been near each other this long already and see if they get along. But before you just yank the divider out, take them out and place them both on neutral territory to introduce them properly. Here is a page that will help you with making good introductions. https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

dial919

Cavy Slave
THANKS! i just found this site and when I talked to the petstore and humane society (plus the book I read), none of them said to quarantine them. Both the store and humane society said they were both just looked at by the vets (I have the sheets the vets signed). Keep fingers crossed!

CavyCatastrophe

Cavy Slave
once they have been quarantined you can go ahead and introduce them in the bath tub or living room, or somewhere neither of them live. i would do this for about a week before you let them permenently live together. let them stay together for longer periods as the week progresses. they should be buddies in no time.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Even if the vet had just checked them out, moving to a new home causes stress, and stress lowers their immunes systems(not to mention piggies already have fragile immune systems any way), which means they can get sick very easily.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.