Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Introducing two male guinea pigs.

LexyMarie6

Cavy Slave
Hello, I have one male guinea pig that is probably around 6 months. I want to get him a friend and I am in love with a certain one. He's so sweet and has quite the personality. I don't know how old he is, under a year. So both being males and not terribly young, is this a good idea or bad idea? I really think he could use a friend because he's a very quiet guinea pig and maybe another guinea could bring him out of his shell a little.

I think, basing myself on what i've read and been told, i think its better that the new piggie is smaller than the one you have now, because natrually your piggie will try to show the new one that he is the boss and that he is the owner of that space (the cage) and a smaller piggie will be more submissive and will let the pig biggie "own" everything. When the little piggie gets tp the adolecent fase, he most probabley try to win the dominante place over and fight, but thats normal and they will fight (no blood) to see who will be the most dominante. Im acutally going to get a new boar in about 2 weeks too, but he is gonna be about 2 monthes old, and my piggie turns 1 on tuesday, so im hoping they get along just fine. Hope this helps!:)

With two males around the same age and under 1 year old, you're likely to run into puberty problems when the boys can't decide who is bigger/ better/ louder/ etc. At thie point, with a 6 month old, a safer bet would be an adult that a rescue knows well. No matter who you get though, the male you have now could cause problems when his hormones go a little wonky. But then again, he could be perfectly fine! That's the joy of guinea pigs. There's no set behavior and by-the-book has rarely happened with my piggies and I.

I normally just say go for it!

my pig is really quiet and docile. they have met once before and did some talking, nudging, and only a little nipping. they chattered they're teeth maybe once or twice but not really at all. i was planning on putting them in a neutral space and all that.

Like jowasaurus said, you won't know how it will go until you try it. The key part in getting boars to get along is to make sure they have a large cage with plenty of space to get away from eachother and have personal space. If you do introductions well, have plenty of space, and multiples of everything in the cage (hideys, bottles, bowls, etc) then hopefully things will go fine!
Have a look over this link on how to do proper intros! Guinea Pigs Social Life

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.