Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

introducing two 3-month-old sows?

PhoenixFeather

Cavy Slave
I have found a female available that was born the same week as our 3-month-old Frisky. We've been looking for a friend for her. Since they're both entering adolescence, would this likely be a good or bad match?

I know about the cavy spirit page on introductions. (I have to say it makes me a bit nervous! I know we are doing the right thing by finding her a friend, but it all seems very daunting.) About how often does a pairing of sows fail? We could do a large divided cage if we had to, but of course I'd rather not have to!

Last edited:

babytulip07

Cavy Slave
I just introduced a 2 year old female to my two 1 year old females yesterday. (I am fostering the 2 year old). Everything went very smoothly, Penny (one of the 1 year olds) asserted her dominance and that was that. I am not sure how different it would be with younger females. CavySpirit's intro page does seem daunting but females are generally much easier to introduce than males. I would say that you probably wouldn't have too much trouble with your females. They will probably go through normal dominance behavior but they probably won't draw blood or seriously fight. However if they do and you have to separate them, even living next to each other is better than living completely alone. Also once they go through puberty they may get along better if they don't now.

socal805

Cavy Slave
They should be just fine, just set up a neutral area and then let them find each other on their own. When I introduced my first 2 girls I made a big play pen area out of grids and put a plastic shower curtain with a blanket over the top. I set them down apart from each other and then eventually they found each other. There was a ton of butt sniffing and rumblestrutting and then they were both popcorning and following each other around. Pairing females up is not that difficult, you will be so happy you did it!

PhoenixFeather

Cavy Slave
Thanks to both of you for the encouragement!

As long as you brought it up, socal, what exactly is "rumblestrutting" -- I've see the term many times, but no good explanation of it! Even on Cavy Spirit where they say it can be a normal part of "introductions" their site never says what it is!

socal805

Cavy Slave
The best way that I can think of to describe rumblestrutting is this...the pig makes a grrrr,purring,rumbling sound while at the same time wiggling their behind back and forth. It's really pretty funny I think, my pigs will do this and walk slowly past each other. It's sort of a "look at me, I'm a big tough pig" dance. The wiggling behind part is a slow back and forth motion and my little baby pig will try to put her behind up to make herself taller than her big sister! It's really a harmless warning and the pigs aren't even really agitated when they do it(at least mine arent). If you hear teeth chattering with it then its a more serious warning but honestly my girls rumblestrutt all the time to each other with no teethchattering at all.

The biggest thing that I have found with my 2 female pigs (I have a 3rd who has not been introduced yet) is that every 2 weeks or so one of them will chase the other one around and rumble at the other one more than usual, they also will try to mount each other. I assume this is because they are in heat. It really isn't a big deal and since I expanded my cage it does not seem to last as long as it used to. I just let them do their thing and since it's not fighting I don't worry about it.
I think you will be fine getting the other girl, let us know how it goes!

babytulip07

Cavy Slave
That's a really good description socal, that is exactly what I have observed. When I said that Penny asserted her dominance, she did that by rumblestrutting. My girls have been together for about 6 months now and they still have dominace issues every now and then. Its really nothing to worry about.
Definitely let us know how it goes! And of course pigtures are required!

PhoenixFeather

Cavy Slave
Oh, dear! I think Frisky may actually be a male. :eek:hmy: (In which case "his" mother may be pregnant again, because they were housed together for 6 weeks.)

I'm going to have to take another look (or bring him/her to the vet) because I am still not sure after consulting the excellent sexing page here.

But obviously this places a damper on adopting the female we just found! And makes me nervous about finding "him" a friend since boars are harder to match up.

babytulip07

Cavy Slave
Oh no! I went through a similiar crisis recently. Penny had gained a lot of weight in the past couple weeks so I was afraid Eevie was actually a boy. But after comparing them to each other (and paying $50 to take them to the vet just in case) I concluded that Penny was just fat (the vet confirmed). Have you tried CavySpirit's sexing page https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm ?
Also how old is Frisky? Usually by puberty its pretty obvious if its a boy. You can always separate them and bring them to a vet just to be sure. Its worth the money to be absolutely positive!

PhoenixFeather

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the reply babytulip!

Frisky is 3 months old. Is that old enough for a male to be obvious? the sexing page unfortunately does not have adolescent female pictures.

The thing is this -- s/he looks most like picture 8 (3 week old male) but we can't get the penis (if there is one) to pop out and make it look like picture 10. And picture 8 does not look all the different than picture 13 (adult female). S/he doesn't have the larger testicles as shown in picture 12 (adolescent male) but I'm not sure if that's just because s/he's not that far into adolescence yet or what.

I made my husband read the page and go look, and he thinks "female".

Of course, Frisky is quite frisky and does not calmly sit still while we check out his/her parts!

I think we will take him/her for a quick vet visit to be sure. We don't have a second pig yet, but I don't want to get one until I know for sure what we have!

We don't have Frisky's mother here -- but they were housed together by the shelter's "exotics" lady before we adopted Frisky, at about 6 weeks.

Last edited:

babytulip07

Cavy Slave
Oh ok well at least you personally don't have to worry about babies!
When I thought Eevie was a boy, I was confused as well because she looks more like picture 8 but I couldn't get the penis to pop out either. I would say that your pig is probably a girl, but having never had a boy myself I wouldn't completely rely on my opinion. Maybe you could post some pictures and someone who has had a boy can comment? You might want to make a separate thread so people see it though. And of course I think taking him/her to a vet would be a good idea, maybe they will be generous and not charge you simply for sexing? My fingers are crossed!

Just saw your post in the Adoptables Discussion. I was about to post but I guess you need to find out the sex of Frisky first! Do you not have any rescues near you? They would be able to sex the potential buddy and they probably have taken care of any vet bills already.

Last edited:

PhoenixFeather

Cavy Slave
When I thought Eevie was a boy, I was confused as well because she looks more like picture 8 but I couldn't get the penis to pop out either.

Maybe you could post some pictures and someone who has had a boy can comment?

I did think about trying to post some pictures, but like I said, it's pretty hard to get a good look, let alone a good photo. And at this point, I want to be sure, so I'm going to take her/him to a vet anyhow.

And of course I think taking him/her to a vet would be a good idea, maybe they will be generous and not charge you simply for sexing? My fingers are crossed!

I am hopeful that they'd at least charge less than a full visit fee just for sexing as well. I'll call tomorrow and see what they say!

Thanks again for your help!

Fazie

Cavy Slave
TeddyBear was 3 1/2-4 weeks old and there was no mistaking he was a male. If you look at the pink fleshy circle that has a Y, the top part should look like it has a little pimple, you can even feel it if you run the pad of your finger lightly over it.

socal805

Cavy Slave
Phoenix can you feel a ridge under where the penis would be?? If you feel a ridge then it's most likely a boy!

PhoenixFeather

Cavy Slave
Phoenix can you feel a ridge under where the penis would be?? If you feel a ridge then it's most likely a boy!

He/she was wiggling the whole time, so I wasn't sure. I tried to feel for it, and at first thought I felt something, but then I didn't think so...

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Well I would try one more time to make sure. Also sometimes it can be pretty obvious its a boy. Sometimes there pretty good at hiding it so try again to see if something pops out. It's very important that you figure it out.

PhoenixFeather

Cavy Slave
Oh, I'm not going to give up. I just didn't want to harass her/him anymore today. We will check again tomorrow, and if we're still not sure, we'll go to the vet to find out for sure.

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Gotcha that makes much sense :) But goodluck with it and hopefully it's a girl so your other one will have a playmate.

PhoenixFeather

Cavy Slave
We don't have another one yet -- I had just written to someone on craigslist about a female that was Frisky's age that just got listed -- I have yet to hear back from them.

I hope I have a girl, because I'd love to be able to get that one from craigslist, and I hope I have a girl, because I do want to get a friend for it, and that's easier with girls.

Then of course once I know for sure what we have, we'll need to find out if the craigslist girl is really a girl too :)

PhoenixFeather

Cavy Slave
Well, for those who are following the continuing saga, I got a good look this evening, and I'm pretty sure "she" is really a "he". :eye-poppi

I think I will call the owner of "his" mom first to see if she thinks the mom is pregnant. If she is pregnant, we have our conclusive evidence, because Frisky was the only pup who stayed with her beyond 3 weeks. So knowing that would save me a vet trip. If not, I will call the vet and see what they will charge to take a peek for us.

My 11yo son is pretty upset because he has gotten used to thinking of Frisky as a "she". I'm just concerned about trying to introduce two boars instead of two sows like I was originally thinking we were going to be doing.

Well, if Frisky's mom is pregnant, maybe we can get a boy from the litter. :eek:ptimist: Would a baby be easier to introduce than another adolescent or adult assuming we're talking males now?

Fluffy_Guinea

Cavy Slave
Well, if Frisky's mom is pregnant, maybe we can get a boy from the litter. :eek:ptimist: Would a baby be easier to introduce than another adolescent or adult assuming we're talking males now?
That sounds like a good idea much safer then a neuter but I think it sounds like an easier introduction but how old is Frisky? If he's an adult it sounds ok but I'm not sure I don't know much about male/male intros.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.