Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

introducing piggies

scruffytufty

Cavy Slave
Hi all i think this is the right place to post it, but yesterday at 7am my guinea pig coco died, very destroyed, anyway her friend gingey is acting really upset bar chewing and hunching in a corner, still loves to run and eat lettuce and she has had extra cuddle time but even during cuddle time she huddles on my shoulder never done this before, anyway i want to get her a new friend before she gets really distressed and keeps bar biting, so i want to know how long do i wait before i introduce a new piggy and how long do i quarantine, i read that i needed to do this?:)

So sorry for your loss...that really sucks :(

I'm still a cavy newbie so I might be wrong about this, but I was recently given a baby piggie and I was told to keep him separate from my other piggies for a month and just put him in the cage with the other piggies occasionally; however I'm not sure if the fact that it was a baby had to do with it. He's in the cage now but he doesn't really play with the other piggies yet, eats by himself, etc. If you get an older piggie the wait time should be less, but good luck anyway!

hi thanks for your reply, i finally found the perfect piggy, named her pepper, i introduced them on the bed and they started running around together and cuddling, so i put pepper away and gingey in a separate cage and they started wheeking to each other so i let them both run around and now they just follow each other!! so sweet .

aw that's great it's like a sisterly love at first site!

You were lucky. If you ever have to introduce another pig, read Guinea Pigs Social Life -- the introductions section is about halfway down.

Sorry for your loss.

They should be quarentined for at least a week and then taken to the vet befor introducing them. Unless you can get to the vet earlier.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.