Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introducing new baby..how?

Kristi

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone. I have a 6 mth old male (Lightning) that we adopted around Easter (from member Denise on here) and he's doing very well. Well, when she got him, he was with a female and the female ended up being pregnant. I halted my search for a pair for Lightning and hoped to adopt one of the pups. We did that today. We adopted a 3 week old precious little guy named Coconut.

Now, I'm a real newbie with the pigs here and I need some guidance. I've read about socializing them on some of the links on here, but I'm still full of questions. I've got a cavy cage with 2 levels and I was planning on keeping Coconut on the bottom and Lightning on the top to begin with to let Coconut get acclimated to his surroundings. But should I not do that since the cage is technically Lightnings cage and will he feel all traumatized that he can't get to his lower level (he stays on top most of the time anyway.....)?

If that is okay, then how long do I keep them seperated? I don't really feel the need to quarantine. I know where he came from and that he is clean and healthy. (or is that very naive of me?) When do I do the initial introductions

I did let Lightning smell him through the cage for a moment and he squeaked like crazy and then started purring as he was smelling Coconut. Was that a good sign? I didn't want to traumatize Coconut too much, so I only did it for a moment. For tonight, I've got Coconut in a seperate cage b/c I realized I need to increase the height of my chloroplast b/c he's such a tiny guy and can escape. But once I do that, do I put him in the bottom? And should I totally clean it or is it better to leave Lightning's smell in there?
Thanks for your help! I'm open to any comments or links that will help me out. I want to make sure I do this right.

Kristi

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Have a thorough read of this page:

https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

It should have all the information that you need. I would make sure you always introduce them on neutral ground so that Coconut is not encroaching on Lightning's territory.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
What you do want to do is set up a neutral area- maybe outside if it is between 65F-75F? Or somewhere where the pigs havn't been (bathroom or kitchen floor?). Let them sniff, chase, mount, and rumblestrut with each other. Do not seperate them unless one draws blood of the other. This, I think, is unlikely in your siduation as you seem to have a good match made.

You want to make sure everything in the cage is clean, wash everything (water bottles, dishes, hideys, or anything plastic, with vinegar and water. Put all material like fleece in the washer, or ar least stick it in the dryer with a couple dryer sheets. This gives them a neutral territory. Watch them for a couple hours and make sure everybody is getting along.

Once again, I don't see any problems in your case, there may be, but it's unlikely. Good luck.

Kristi

Cavy Slave
Hi guys. Well, I let them get together on a sheet today and Lightning pretty much just kept smelling Coconuts butt and purring. I guess that's good? Coconut didn't seem to mind. Squeaked a bit and moved around, but never tried to get away. I got the bottom of the cage all babyproofed now and put Coconut in there. I've got to make sure to cover the complete back though b/f I allow him to go upstairs b/c I'm afraid he'll just jump right out the grids while climbing up. So, so far so good? I think so! I swear Lightning seems to know that's his son. It's so cute! Coconut is even venturing out of his tissue box hiding spot quite a bit to explore so hopefully he'll adjust well. I'll keep you all posted and post some pics when they finally settle in together. My little guy is so cute and tiny!!

Kristi

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I'm glad it is working out- can't wait to see pictures!

Daisy Duke
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.