Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introducing myself & my Texel guinea pig

Mokie

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! lol My name is Pam and I just joined this site today. I'm from Cleveland, OH (USA) and have owned guinea pigs (i.e. short haired, silkies, peruvians and texels) for 30 years now. Growing up I always had dogs, guinea pigs & hamsters. Now that I'm older I still continue to have guinea pigs.

I just purchased a very handsome 3 month old Texel boar named "Mokie" recently and I'm very excited that my significant other is assisting me with finding the appropriate caging arrangements. In the past I had my guinea pigs in what I thought was a large enough home, but now that I'm reading all this information that he found we have ordered Mokie a new C&C cage and some Cozy Cavy products to make his life more enjoyable.

I'm very glad to see sites like this that have very helpful information on them to assist all of us in this hobby so that we can improve the lives of our pets and help them live a healthy & happy life. Thank you to everyone who posts and shares information with others. It's a great help to all of us.

I'll post some photos soon of Mokie on the appropriate thread and wish everyone the best of luck with their guinea pigs! :eek:ptimist:

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
Welcome! So happy to hear you are getting a C&C cage for your GP as well as something to snuggle up in. Can't wait for pictures.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Welcome!! Can't wait to see a picture. C & C's are wonderful!!

cam767

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Do you plan on adopting a friend for Mokie sometime? I'm sure he would appreciate it once everyone is settled in. I can't wait to see pics. :)

Mokie

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone for your replies to my thread. I'm considering getting a silkie boar that will be about month old to keep Mokie company. The C&C cage we just purchased is 60 x 30 (outside dimensions), which should be sufficient for two guinea pigs I would think.

Hopefully, Mokie will get along with the new boar. We shall see. I think he should because he is quite docile and laid back. I'll keep everyone posted. I've never tried introducing guinea pigs before so, this will be a new experience for me. I'm very thankful for the information provided on this site and will follow it closely when introducing them. Thanks again!

P. S. Photos coming soon! :eek:ptimist:

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
I hope you will adopt, rather than purchase again, but I do hope you do get him a friend and am very glad you are going the C&C route.

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
I also really hope you adopt. There are lots of homeless piggys out there. Rather than buying from a breeder, look on craigslist or petfinder.com. Most of the time your local animal shelters will have pigs in need.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Please adopt! Don't buy and support breeding. You can find long hair pigs in rescues.

Putting two baby boars together is a bad idea as well. An older male is best if you have a baby boar or you will have problems when they hit adolescence at the same time in a few months.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the site! It's a great source of information!

I'm very glad you're going the C&C route - it really is the best method of housing there is. You will notice a big difference in pig behavior in their big new cages! I'm also going to recommend you adopt rather than buy, and to advise getting an older pig. You can find all kinds and all ages on Craigslist (look for rehoming ads rather than breeders) and on Petfinder. I found my beautiful Silkie pig on Craigslist - he belonged to a little girl who no longer wanted him.

Mokie

Cavy Slave
I appreciate everyone's reply to my post and the advice on introducing two boars together. I'm a bit nervous to be honest with you.

In regards to adopting, I think it's a great idea, but unfortunately there aren't that many in our area up for adoption. If we do find a long haired boar that is up for adoption we may consider, but as of yet there are none in the area.

KDonohue

Cavy Slave
Why do you need a long haired guinea pig? I think when looking for a friend for your Mokie I recommend considering the type of pig he would be most compatible with rather than the esthetics's of the pig. As Mokie is quite young you may want to consider adopting an older male. If Mokie is a relatively submissive pig you want a more dominant pig, this way their assertion of dominance will be easier.
Every guinea pig that is "purchased" rather than adopted means that another pig will that needs a home looses out on a good home and there is a good chance that animal will be euthanized if it remains in a shelter for too long.

CavyCrazyLady

Cavy Slave
There are ALWAYS pigs to adopt. They may be a little harder to find if there is not a rescue in your area that accepts them, but if you search for about a week you will come accross many that need homes. Try looking in the classifieds section of Petfinder, Craig's List, the adoptable section here, etc. You can also try your local paper or flyer. With a little searching, I think you will be supprised how many you find needing homes.

Mokie

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your replies everyone! Each and every one of us has our own needs, wants, preferences & opinions and I think it's great that we can all share them on this site freely.

I joined this site though to learn more information that will help me to improve my guinea pigs life. One of those being, maybe introducing him to another boar.

Though I appreciate everyone's opinion in regards to adopting and think it's great that those individuals that choose to do so do, it is based on personal preference.

Having said that, I have adopted plenty of animals myself over the years and have helped many organizations through volunteering and donations to support their efforts so, I do understand the emphasis that seems to be given through this site on adopting.

However, I am here to learn more about keeping the guinea pig healthy that I currently have and possibly introducing him to another boar.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your replies everyone! Each and every one of us has our own needs, wants, preferences & opinions and I think it's great that we can all share them on this site freely.

I joined this site though to learn more information that will help me to improve my guinea pigs life. One of those being, maybe introducing him to another boar.

Though I appreciate everyone's opinion in regards to adopting and think it's great that those individuals that choose to do so do, it is based on personal preference.

Hi again!

Just to let you know, this is a pro-adoption, anti-breeding, anti-petstore site, so any pro-breeding opinions will not be well received.

I do, however, appreciate your willingness to learn from the best, and the people on this forum are EXTREMELY knowledgeable about proper guinea pig care, nutrition and housing, so please do stick around!

I'd also recommend you check out https://www.guinealynx.info for medical and health information, starting here: https://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html

Best of luck in your search for an appropriate cagemate!

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
The thing is, some personal preferences are selfish and frivolous, and some are not.

I'm puzzled about the "plenty" number of animals you have adopted rather than purchased. Is there a magic number of animals I ought to adopt before I should feel entitled to purchase one?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
In regards to adopting, I think it's a great idea, but unfortunately there aren't that many in our area up for adoption. If we do find a long haired boar that is up for adoption we may consider, but as of yet there are none in the area.
May I ask why you want a pig with long hair? The longer hair, while gorgeous, is often a lot more of a hindrance than it's worth - as it mats easily and requires a lot more upkeep than their shorter haired counterparts.

And even if you absolutely must have a long haired pig, there's really no good excuse for going to a breeder rather than waiting for one in rescue.

Having said that, I have adopted plenty of animals myself over the years and have helped many organizations through volunteering and donations to support their efforts so, I do understand the emphasis that seems to be given through this site on adopting.
I'm also curious what the magic number is where you can stop adopting and start buying? There certainly isn't a point at which the animals in shelters STOP needing homes or facing euthanasia. There certainly isn't a point that those breeding them and those buying from said breeders aren't contributing to the overpopulation of the animals that puts them in the shelters in the first place. So, what is the key here? I seem to have missed it.

However, I am here to learn more about keeping the guinea pig healthy that I currently have and possibly introducing him to another boar.
You most certainly WILL learn this. Hopefully, you'll also learn why it's far more rewarding to rescue rather than support those that breed animals that are already dying in shelters to begin with.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Besides it being the right thing to do - it makes more sense FOR MOKIE for you to adopt than to purchase a pig. It is easier to successfully pair a baby with an adult boar than two young boars with each other, as you will only have to go through the puberty of one pig.

sarahczspots

Cavy Slave
Even without the ethical argument as to whether or not to purchase and support breeding, there are other arguments that I find just as convincing.

I would be terrified to purchase my boar a friend instead of adopting one from a knowledgeable rescue. Pet stores aren't normally ethical themselves and may send you home with a boar that could be a sow, possibly even a pregnant one.

As if that wouldn't be bad enough, lets say they do give you a boar. Consider that you may get him home and find out that he's not very healthy. Guinea pigs instinctively mask their illnesses and the petstore could know about the illness and the may not, but either way you'd be threatening Mokie's life by bringing an illness into the home.

I understand that it may be complicated to find guinea pigs in need in your immediate area, but I'd look around to make sure before committing to a pig that may endanger your current baby. Good luck in your search!

Katie_Kutthroat

Cavy Slave
I live in the Akron area and if you're interested, Craigslist has plenty of guinea pigs for adoption in our area. I have seen many different types and ages of piggies. I adopted both of my piggies off of craigslist for a low price and I was helping keep them out of a shelter. The Humane Society just received about five guinea pigs from a very horrible situation from a family that left their over +20 animals home alone with no care while they went on vacation, it was on the news. So if you are interested in adoption, they're plenty of pigs looking for homes.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.