Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Introducing my 3 month old to a rescue 5yr old

Clairfy

Cavy Slave
Hello, I went in Pets at Home earlier today and spotted a 5yr old guinea pig in their adoption centre. She was really sad looking and was up for adoption because her friend had died and her owners no longer wanted her.

Would it be possible to introduce her to my guinea pig that it about 3 month old?

I dont think the old pig has much time left and I cant bear the thought that she might pass away in the tank all alone and miserable!

Poor thing, she has really broken my heart!:weepy:

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
Actually, introducing older pigs to younger pigs is often easy, because its easier to establish dominance (due to the significant age difference). If you have the space and finances to house another piggy, go ahead! They are happier in pairs anyway, so this will benefit everyone involved.
Oh, and cavies can live up to eight years-so this little girl has a lot of time ahead of her.

Clairfy

Cavy Slave
Oh I know they can live much longer than 5 but it was just the way she was in the tank. Was awful but probably because shes very depressed from loosing her friend and being dumped by her owner!

I am going to go for it I think (lets hope they let me adopt her!)

Emmy-Dan

Cavy Slave
I would still be very wary of Pets At Home. Since finding this site I would never buy a pet from a store again...really believe the best policy is too rescue. BUT a few months ago my heart strings were pulled and I saw two Gp up for adoption with a sob story similar to yours. :sad:

I asked for written details of them and about behaviour etc and was very close to adopting them. I was then told by an employee who I have spoken to for YEARS there not to go for it. Apparently they do this purposely for animals that haven't been sold or have 'other' selling problems. They also move these animals from different stores in hope that someone feels sorry and adopts them with a generous donation (which goes in their pocket anyway).

There is information on the web about Pets At Home and all their downfalls. Just bear this in mind. I know how difficult it is. :weepy:

Clairfy

Cavy Slave
I know [email protected] are not a brilliant company.. I also know the pitfalls of buying from there (sick piggie with URI) but I feel that this piggie probably like you said has been moved from store to store or really does have a sob story and I would like to help her out because she really really did look miserable :( poor little thing, just sat in a tiny tank with no one else to talk to and I have a piggie at home who would love a friend!

Hopefully introductions between the two of them will go well and it will be a win win... I guess I should prepare myself however for if they dont get on!

Thanks for your advice. If you think I shouldnt be doing this please say. I am just excited about being able to do a good thing but if you think it is probably a waste of time that they wont get on I would like you to say x

Simonmaal

Cavy Slave
If they don't get on, you can always put 2 cages close to each other. 2 guinea pigs segregated in this way will be infinitely happier than living without any contact with other cavies, even though there is no direct contact.

But I'm always suspicious of big pet chains.

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
Wait...is this pig up for adoption by a rescue, or are they selling her for a reduced cost and calling it an adoption? *gets confused*

Clairfy

Cavy Slave
The pig is a rescue. It says it is 5 years old and it is clearly not a young pig when you see it. :(

krittercrazy

Cavy Slave
Don't forget to do the three week quarantine if you decide to get it.

Clairfy

Cavy Slave
I already have a quarantine cage set up and waiting.

I went to collect her but she isn't ready until Thursday so I will try again then.

tamnjo

Cavy Slave
Good luck with introductions! I hope everything goes smoothly :)

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
Please keep us updated, and post pictures!

Emmy-Dan

Cavy Slave
The pig is a rescue. It says it is 5 years old and it is clearly not a young pig when you see it. :(

Not being picky....but [email protected] always describe them as rescues/adoptions but there are not. That is what I meant about 'pulling our heart strings'. I hope you get on ok but it is a tough choice. Good Luck.

Clairfy

Cavy Slave
I am not being picky either but its still an adoption. I am little bit annoyed that this site endorses getting pigs as rescues and when someone like myself tries to do that and posts we get slammed for trying to do the right thing :(

babybunny

Cavy Slave
No one is slamming you. I think there was a concern from someone and they wanted you to be aware of a situation that they have come across. I think its wonderful you are adopting an unwanted piggie who from the sounds of it hasn't had a good life. I hope she finds a wonderful life with you and her soon to be new friend. Good luck with the both of them.