Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting Introducing boars, PLEASE HELP

ArtiWho

Cavy Slave
Hello, I am Arti and I have two guinea pigs, Ludwig is a 9 month old abyssinian boar and Klaus is a 2 month old american boar. I have introduced them two weeks ago and they were getting along just fine. Today while I was cleaning the cage they were playing in their play pen, apparently they relieved themselves in there and got all dirty with poo and pee. I gave them a bath and I placed them in the clean cage, the thing is that Ludwig stays in the kitchen ever since and when he goes near Klaus they start sniffing their rears, trying to mount each other and sort of fighting, they even have a nose rising competition. This is sort of scary, I thought they had bond fine but now I am worry. It gets even worst if Ludwig rumblestrutting, Klaus confronts him and they circle each other. What should I do? Why are they behaving like this now? Did I do something wrong? Is this normal after a bath? Please help me!!!

It's normal for them to do that after a bath because they smell different. If they are not fighting (causing bloodshed), leave them alone. They will realized they know each other and should get back to normal.

Nose off, rumblestrut, and mounting are all normal behavior.
See the "Safe, non-combative, dominance behavior" on this page:
https://cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Introductions

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.