Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance Introducing a pair to another pair?

Kermit_Koeller

Cavy Slave
Can you introduce a bonded pair of boars to another bonded pair of boars? I currently have a pair of 4-5 month old boars. I am looking at adopting a father/son pair and the son is about 6 months old and the father is 1-2 years. Is this possible or would they need separate cages?

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
They MIGHT get along but I wouldn't risk it personally. You would also need a VERY large cage.

Kermit_Koeller

Cavy Slave
soo.....don't even try? The cage thing is the issue I'm dealing with. The way my room is set up I only have room for one cage, big or small. With two cages I would not be able to get to the other one without climbing through the first one lol.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
All you can do is try. For 4 boars, you would need a really large cage though (about a 2X7). With two already bonded pairs, it's tricky. Introducing in that situation can mess with the dynamics of each pair.

Kermit_Koeller

Cavy Slave
Ok well maybe if I get them I will try and if not I will hafta make room for another cage. We will see. I just really fell in love with them....they're on here...Jack and rocket if anyone's seen them. Soooo cute! Thanks guys!

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
It isn't recommended to have more than three boars in a cage at a time. They do tend to fight if you have any more than that, despite the cage size :p

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
You have a bonded pair that will be or has started to enter puberty and want to add another that will be or starting to enter puberty, so honestly, I wouldn't recommend it right now, just for that main reason alone. It COULD work, but the bickering my boys do in my huge cage and there is just two of them, I can't imagine having 3 go through it AND introducing at the same time.

If you wanted to keep the duos separated until after a year old or so, then I say go for it and see what happens then, but I wouldn't recommend introducing all the younger ones at this time. JMO.

Kermit_Koeller

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=24816]Carissa6729[/MENTION] that's a good idea. So sounds like no same cage for now. Woyldnt want anyone to get hurt. Thanks everyone!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.