Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Introduced month owned, adult looking guinea pig to new baby guinea pig

FluffyGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
A month or maybe two ago, my family and I adopted a guinea pig. She seemed to be an adult - or close at least. She was jittery, and jumpy when she had met us and still likes to squirm, and had bit my brothers and father on several occasions. She hasn't bit my mother or I before.

She popcorns a lot, especially when everybody is located in the same room with her. She can be held, the last time I tried however, when her cage was being cleaned, she was squirming and trying to get out of the blanket that I was holding her in.

She probably isn't used to me because I haven't been able to hold her much, only stick my fingers in the cage and wiggle them at her as she'd come close and let me talk and rub the top of her head. She has had more interaction with my siblings and mother than I.

Two days ago we introduced her to a new cage, and later that night cantaloupe and a carrot. She'd been introduced to the carrot beforehand. The next day we introduced her to new toys, and a new house. Only ten minutes after that my brother and I managed to convince our mother to let us buy another guinea pig as I'd read about it being a very good and almost necessary thing for guinea pigs.

We hurried to PetSmart, I didn't know the riskiness of buying a guinea pig from a pet store, we got the first guinea pig there, too. Our first guinea pig, her name is Princess, was in a cage with other guinea pigs when my brother and mother bought her, I wasn't there so I don't know the certain amount.

The baby guinea pig I picked was in a cage with I'd say about six other baby guinea pigs, and it was a very small cage, and all of them were under this purple house, it didn't seem like it should be able to fit that many.

But she took to me right away, and cuddled up against my shirt and wouldn't let go for nothing, I had trouble getting her into the boxes they let you take them home with, my brother played loud rap music on the ride home which probably wasn't a good thing. He mentioned doing the same to Princess when he brought her home as well.

The employees mentioned that the two might try to kill each other, and putting a divider in the cage, which is almost impossible because it's actually a giant pool for children, but we introduced them straight away.

I actually set her down in the pool which I am not sure if it was a good idea either. Both hardly knew me, so it wasn't like Princess had claimed me as her favorite owner, but I'm still not sure.

Princess stayed inside her shelter, and the baby guinea pig walked around for a few minutes before hiding on a log. Princess came out and started rough housing the baby guinea pig, shoving her back in forth in the shelter and sort of nuzzling her. She would chase her whenever the baby guinea pig would try to get away.

After a few minutes of watching this behavior from Princess which made me worry about the baby's health, I looked up introducing guinea pig. I told them about it, and we hadn't got the chance to talk about where because the baby ended up running into Princess' shelter that Princess was hiding in before, and Princess followed. As soon as they weren't an our sight, we heard a loud squeal come form the baby guinea. Our reaction time was quick as there were no visible injuries on either.

This worried me farther and both guinea pigs were removed from the cage and I let my sister who Princess had only been held by once and was quickly given away hold the baby guinea pig on a piece of furniture across Princess who was being held by my brother.

We came up with an idea, my siblings would make a cage with their legs spread, and the guinea pigs were actually fine there, with all of us around, they ate carrots together which I don't think baby guinea pigs should eat carrots, I looked it up and people said there was too much sugar in them.

But they were fine, and we introduced one of the shelters, a log with two entrances that Princess could get out of, and three the baby guinea pig might be able to get out of. Princess had this since day one, I figured she would be more territorial over the log than the new shelter that was bought.

As soon as we set the new shelter in the make-shift cage, they went into it, and Princess attacked her again, no damage was down this time either, but I found it very worrisome. After a little bit of that, we put the two back into the pool, but without the new shelter.

Princess repeated the same behavior as the first time, biting her again, and this time she pulled fur. We put the baby guinea into the bathtub with a soft blanket, water, pallets and hay which it wasn't the kind I know now the baby guineas are supposed to have, the log was with the baby and Princess' old shelter was with her.

My other brother and I talked about how we needed to get the baby guinea pig more used to us, and Princess more used to the general aspect that there was another guinea pig that was going, if possible, be a new addition to our family.

We were planing on have one person, probably me, hold the baby guinea pig and sit on one of the pieces of furniture while one of my brothers set opposite with Princess. And I'm not even sure if I will be able to convince my stubborn brother who bought them to do that instead of just shoving them into relatively unfamiliar places with food.

I realize that we made a lot of mistakes with both of the guinea pigs, and our introduction speed, and I am really hoping that somehow we can fix it. Because I like them both a lot. I just need some tips or just something on how we can do this.

I don't want to get rid of one of them, or worse both, but we can take the baby guinea pig back and get a new one if that's what we have to do.

I really don't want to.

Please, help?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
So you have made several mistakes, but you can learn from these mistakes and try again. First things first, have a read of this link http://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

The basics you need to know are they need to be introduced in neutral territory, a space neither has been before (or at least neither has been recently). While they are getting used to each other you need to know what is and isn't concerning behaviour. Baby guinea pigs tend to overreact and whine a bunch during intro's so keep in mind that just because she is crying doesn't mean they need to be separated immediately. Behaviour that does not warrant separating, and those that do warrant separating are listed in the link I posted above.

You also need to completely clean the cage you intend to keep both of them in, you need to get rid of all existing scents from the cage so they do not become territorial this means completely changing the bedding and whipping everything that can be whipped with a water vinegar mix. Finally you need to not have any hideys with only one entrance, at least for the first week or so while they get used to each other (ideally we don't recommend one entrance hideys in any situation), the last thing you want is one getting trapped in a hidey and being unable to escape from a dispute.

Last edited:

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Hi there! First make sure they are both females (or males), pet stores often get that wrong. Just check that their parts match. If they are the same gender, once they are properly introduced (ditto everything [MENTION=24757]Soecara[/MENTION] said and this is a good thing to read too http://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Introductions ) you might need two of everything, two hay areas, two bowls of pellets, two water bottles, until they work out who will be the dominant piggie. Sometimes one will keep the other from eating. It's a good idea to buy a kitchen scale (if you don't have one) and weigh them weekly. That way you can see if one starts losing weight, which is often the first sign of illness or that one isn't getting a chance at the food). Good luck!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Yes, thanks @Rywen I completely forgot to mention about genders. Absolutely double and triple check they are in fact the same gender. If you are unsure and you can get clear photos of their genitalia then you can post the photos here to get a second opinion. Also here is a link with some images to compare to http://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.