Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introduced and a little discouraged

graciebell

Cavy Slave
So, we introduced Hendrix and Lynard today. We went into our bedroom and put towels on the bed since neither of them had been in there yet. They sat on our laps for a few minutes and eventually noticed the other was there - they have been talking to eachother for the couple of weeks that we have had them quarentined. Lynard mounted Hendrix several times and showed his teeth several times as well. They eventually layed beside eachother. Then, we took them and bloey have been playing the my nose is higher than your nose game as well. They still haven't figured out how to go back up the ramp, but I think they will eventually. A few minutes ago, Lynard touched Hendrix's nose (which I think is good) and Hendrix is now sitting in the tube and lynard is sitting on a little platform and they are looking at eachother. Lynard is continuing to "yawn" and show his teeth.

I think we are probably going to separate them when we go to bed tonight. I just don't trust them yet. I am a little discouraged because they seemed to be doing pretty well outside of their house. I don't think all hope is lost yet, at least I hope not! There hasn't been any blood drawn yet. I think I just thought things were going to work out the first time!

CavyCatastrophe

Cavy Slave
There is going to be constant quarrells for a little bit. This is normal, they are just trying to figure out who the dominant one is. It sound like neither is very recessive. Good luck.

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
I think it is a fantastic start. It may take several weeks before you are comfortable housing them together.

I put Petunia and Luna in the same cage but with a grid wall between them. There has been mad dashing up and down the fence, some chattering but it seems to be dying down. After they are comfortable with the grid there, then we will do face to face in a neutral area. I am hoping within a few weeks to be able to remove the grid and have them together.

I think Petunia is going to end up being the alpha and Luna is not really thrilled with it. I think she will accept it though. So I am just taking my time with them.

You are off to a great start.

graciebell

Cavy Slave
Thanks ya'll. I think it is going pretty well. I just wish I didn't have to worry about them being together. I think that even though they are having some issues they enjoy being around eachother. I think we will separate them when we aren't home during part of the day and when we are sleeping until we are completely comfortable with them being together. Hendrix isn't being as dominant with noises and positioning himself and he isn't showing his teeth to Lynard, but the my nose is higher than your game goes both ways sometimes. They do let eachother eat and clean themselves. I just wish they would figure out the ramp!Hendrix is the most active I have ever seen him. He has been popcorning in the cage and running around and chasing Lynard. Lynard is ok with it until Hendrix gets carried away and he runs over Lynard.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.