Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Input on C&C cage idea please

smolpig

Cavy Slave
So I've convinced my landlord to let me have a C&C (Yes finally) and I just had an idea I thought I'd run through you guys.
I don't know how I'm going to afford it, but I'm gonna try anyways. But there's a space between my bed- my bed is in the middle of the two walls, leaving two sides- that if I fenced in with grids, it would equal to about an 8 grid by 2 grid cage. I don't know what I'll use for bedding or if I can afford fleece in place of coroplast, but this idea came up and it's still in progress. I'm going to change my gofundme to this idea as well and see how that turns out. Is it that the minimum is 2 by 4 grids or 2 by 5? Is this enough space for them? How can I make it extra secure? I have two boars.

Also another thing- dog proofing. My dogs would be able to acess it by hopping over and also hopping from the bed. If I put a lid of grids on it they won't try and jump on it, that I know for sure. Is a lid of grids safe? I've never had one and I want to know how to make it safe. This is a room my dogs frequent and there's one dog in particular that I know would nab one as fast as she could.

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Minimum for two boars is a 2x5 cage. To make it more secure, I used the connectors AND cable ties. It's very secure. You can make a lid from grids, go to guineapigcagesstore.com to see a picture if you're going to try to make your own, or you can buy one from there.

As far as bedding: Fleece is cheaper in the long run by far. You can buy a very nice liner that you'll never have to replace from my personal favorite shop, Piggiepopshop, for only $60. She also makes a bunch of cozies, haybags, etc. I have a long list of shops I order from, so if you'd like to know about more, just let me know. I also know many cheap places to buy the supplies for the c&c cage if you'd like to know that as well.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Two males need a 2x5 and preferably with some kind of upper level as well. You didn't really mean 'fleece in place of coroplast' did you? Just want to clarify that. You need a coroplast base no matter what bedding.

Yes, the grid top is fine. That is, if you get it from our Cages Store where you get the appropriate rods and bars as necessary for the expanse of your cage. DIY? That's an it depends answer based on your own construction.

I would work on socializing your dog such that she understands the pigs are part of the family. Most dogs will get this. Just needs some supervised social visits/practice time. Less worry that way. :)

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I personally find upper levels to cause more "disagreements" but that's just me :)

smolpig

Cavy Slave
Sorry, I meant fleece in place of bedding, there! I think fleece looks nicer with these cages and right now I'm using wood chips, but I've never been able to buy the liners before. I think I might go for it though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.