Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ingredients listed on Pet Food

Delaine

Cavy Slave
I have a question for anyone in the U.S. Do U.S. companies have to list all the ingredients in pet foods? I am under the impression that if an ingredient is under a certain percentage of the total food they don't have to list it. Or has that changed?

For example, Oxbow didn't list Lignin Sulfonate on their old packaging but do on their new Adult formula. I phoned the Nutrition Department and they told me they have CHOSEN to now list it, although it was always in the formula.

Kleenmama's pellets use dicalcium phosphate as their calcium source but I don't see it listed on the ingredient list. I only found out because I e-mailed them. I have no idea if there is anything else in the food that is not listed.

It is frustrating because how can me make informed decisions on choosing a good pet food if we don't know the whole story.

Any thoughts on this?

Petfood in the U.S. isn't regulated by any government agency (FDA or USDA). Suppliers aren't required to list all ingredients in their food. However, ingrediants on the list appear in order of what is more prevalent in the food down to the smaller quantities. Usually what isn't listed is what is all the way at the bottom.

You just have to make the best educated decision with the information you have available.

(on a side note - I think some level of regulation should be required. In the U.S., pet food recalls are optional by the company)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.