Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Infection Next to Eye? (Pictures)

Gigabyte

Cavy Slave
[GuineaPigCages.com] Infection Next to Eye? (Pictures)
Under little Rodney's eye is this gooey patch that's fairly pink/red. He never scratches at it or anything. First, I took him to the vet for a minor URI (just stress from moving from one environment to another), and the next day he had a gooey (clear discharge) eye, and it seemed okay. The next day he started Baytril for his URI, and under his eye got red and had some white pus.

It has become less red, but is still has a little puss still. I have been cleaning it and keeping it dry with just normal water on a Q-Tip. Should I use something else?

I have some Terramycin (Ophthalmic ointment) left over from my hamster getting the same thing near his eye a long time ago. But hamsters don't equal guinea pigs, so I don't know if it's safe to use.

So, any suggestions on this little guy?

Nothing?
Well, earlier I found a little clear glob by his eye, around where the irritation is. So I put nice, warm water on a Q-tip and let it sit on the glob, and the thing came off after a few minutes. It seems to be the source of irritation. It came off the skin with some hair (yikes), but Rodney didn't seem to mind much.

Hopefully he's okay. I didn't apply the terramycin, because it is too similar to guinea lynx's dangerous medications list.

It's possible there was something stuck there that was causing irritation, or perhaps he got poked, or perhaps a bit of conjunctivitis. You can use saline drops to rinse out the eye and see if the condition returns. If he continues to have the mucus, he will need to see a vet.

It's more next to the eye than anything, but I figure the vet will do a stain test and give him something for it, so I might as well head down there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.