Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels In the loft all the time!

MBgirl

Cavy Slave
This is my first post here. *waves*

we adopted our two girls a couple weeks ago. The family that had them before us had them in a 2x3 c&c cage. I extended it to a 2x4, and a few days later, added a 1x2 loft, which has a large litter box (they both fit in it) and their hay.

They spend about 80% of their time in the cage up in the loft! They do go down to drink often, and will run around in the tunnels a bit. (Plus we do floor playtime every day) I'm just curious if anyone else has GPs that prefer being up in their loft? I kind of wonder if they just want to be with the hay all the time, or maybe they like being up higher, since the cage is down on the floor?

erin

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
I just remodeled my cage and also added a loft and my piggies love it! They spent the whole first evening doing zoomies around the cage! We all sat there all evening watching them and enjoying their joy! But as far as spending a lot of time in the loft? No not really. They might spend a little more of their time there because it's where all the food is but they sleep downstairs and I actually have to call them up to eat when I bring veggies. Maybe they just like being close to the hay or maybe because they didn't have a loft before they just like being up high?

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
It's definitely the hay they want to be close to!

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
One of mine prefers the loft. I have an igloo up there. I used to have the hay up there but I took the hay down because they would lay around and stay there all day and not get any exercise lol

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
Lol have to agree, it's probably the hay. My cage doesn't have a loft but I find both my boys sleeping in front of their hay rack all the time.

MBgirl

Cavy Slave
Who knows why your girls prefer the loft? Think about it.........does it really matter so long as they are happy? Sounds as though you're doing a great job with them!

Thanks! I'm trying to learn all I can.
It's not that I'm concerned or anything, just curious...and also I feel a bit like, "Hey, I made you a great big cage and you're always squeezed into a spot smaller than your old cage!" lol
I think I'll try to find a low table, maybe they just don't like being on the floor.

erin

alexada17

Cavy Slave
my boys are like that! i have a 2x5 with a 1x2 loft where i put their pellets, hay and one of their water bottles. under my hay bag i put a one inch high tupperware to collect the hay that they don't eat. the boys love to nap in the tupperware! i find if i change out their igloos on the bottom they spend time down there too. i have three different ones so i have two in the bottom at all times, but i try and switch them out and rotate them around the cage. some days they stay up top allllll day except when they get their veggies or floor time. it bothers me too sometimes, but i think they like that its a closed (mostly) space, they feel secure. mine even did it when they were on the floor, tho now they are raised and still spend a ton of time up there.

adelore

Cavy Slave
My girls love their loft, but I really think it's because of the fleece hid-a-ways. before I added them, they would run up there, pop corn around, zoom back down. Now they sleep up there every night. They still zoom around their cage, but I am a believer now at how much the girls (guinea pigs) love fleece. They love it so much, they use to have 3 pigloos, now I just have one on the bottom of the cage. They stopped using the other two, so I thought I'd take them out and give them more floor place to run in. I guess each Piggie has their own taste, some like it and some don't.
Guinea Pigs 017

Amy262

Cavy Slave
We have a three story cage, with a fourth floor on the bottom for storage, and there is a hidey on each of the floors with two hideys on the top floor. The girls spend most of their time on the top floor. Although, right now, there is one sleeping on each floor. :D Their food is on the lowest floor, so the only incentive to go to the top floor is the hideys and an extra water bottle. They do enjoy being up there!

adelore

Cavy Slave
We have a three story cage, with a fourth floor on the bottom for storage, and there is a hidey on each of the floors with two hideys on the top floor. The girls spend most of their time on the top floor. Although, right now, there is one sleeping on each floor. :D Their food is on the lowest floor, so the only incentive to go to the top floor is the hideys and an extra water bottle. They do enjoy being up there!

Could you post a picture of your cage...it sounds really cool.

addictivejuliet

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Can we see pictures? We all love pictures :)

Amy262

Cavy Slave
Could you post a picture of your cage...it sounds really cool.

I'm actually in the process of redoing it again. LOL In the pictures below, it shows how I'm currently using the store bought cage as a kitchen area. I'm going to be taking out the store bought cage and just adding another bit of cubes. It is 2x4 on the bottom, then the second floor is a 1x2 with another little 1x1 bedroom area. The top floor is an L-shape. I think you can get the idea with the pictures below.

Here is the bottom storage area. This picture was taken a while ago...different hidey shown!:
IMG 0818

Here are the ramps...bottom goes to lower floor, middle is walkway that joins 2 areas, top goes to top floor:
P1040007

Here is the bottom floor on the opposite side of the cage, showing the store-bought cage being used for a kitchen...which I am going to replace with cubes to make it look nicer.
P1040010

Top l-shaped top floor:
P1040009

The WHOLE thing. Please excuse the blue tape along the baseboards in the background...we are in the process of installing bamboo flooring and painting today (don't worry...no/low odor paint and windows are WIDE open!) We also just put the cage up on plywood and put rubber wheels on it for easy moving without scratching our new floor. :)
P1040011

It's still a work in progress. After I replace the store-bought cage area today with cubes, I would like to extend the middle level above the kitchen area I think. Not sure. Plus, the ramps are pretty narrow. They work fine right now because our girls are just six months old, but when they gain a bit more weight, they might be too narrow. Ideally, I'd like to have the 2x4 on the bottom and maybe a 1x2 and another 1x2 above that (one section on either side with a walkway connecting the two). Then somehow still keep the top floor...they love it up there! They currently have the minimum of 2x4 recommend for three piggies. It would be nice to some day extend to 2x5 on the bottom, but floor space is limited. That's why I built UP (I know it says that building up does not extend the square footage of the cage, but my girls love the upper floors).