Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad In pain

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave
I don't know what's going on to my piggy. Is this look like a bumblefoot. Idk please tell me. He's not putting his leg down whenever he's sitting or standing.

6a1beea5804b74ebb62d967b8ffbec8d.jpg

f0eaec64074b0db5eff8a5b79875ba87.jpg

9c17d5305d3e302b73a830cfe8c7bb55.jpg

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Take him to a good exotics vet. It's either bumblefoot or an injury, and either way he needs pain relief, and he might need other meds for bumblefoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirah93

Cavy Slave
This looks like a foot injury to me. Did he fall or get his front leg caught in anything? It could either be bruised, fractured, or broken. You'll need to take him to an exotics vet and have an x-ray done to see what's wrong. He might need to be on some pain medication as well.

It could be bumblefoot but I'm fairly certain it's a foot injury.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She's not in an area that has exotic vets handy.

It's definitely not bumblefoot -- that causes redness and swelling.

He's likely injured it in some way. If you gently extend his leg, or feel his foot, does he react in pain?

If he were mine, I'd watch him very carefully. If you notice any signs of infection (swelling/redness/oozing sore/odor) or if he stops or slows down on eating/pooping/drinking/peeing, then yes, you'll need a vet. But it may heal without any treatment.

If he's in a cage with another pig, you'll have to monitor whether the other pig is chasing or otherwise annoying him. If so, you may need to separate them until he can move normally, even though it will mean you have to do full reintroductions again.

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed) that happend last night. And yes he does reach In pain. Do I need to buy some Pain killer or antibiotics to help him with his pain problem. Are you sure it's not bumblefoot couz I read somewhere that If the bone becomes infected, the leg may need to be surgically removed.
And he is alone, no other piggy

dirah93

Cavy Slave
I see no signs of swelling in his foot that would indicate bumblefoot. It's definitely a foot injury if he's not putting any weight on the foot and he shows signs of pain when you extend his leg. This would require pain medication such as metacam, not antibiotics, however to my knowledge you cannot just purchase it online without a prescription from a vet.

Back in December one of my boars had an injury overnight and also wasn't putting down his front leg. When I took him to the vet, they performed an x-ray and found that he has a fractured elbow.

For all we know it could just be a bruise. I would recommend restricting his movements by having him in a smaller cage to allow proper healing of his foot. Generally, guinea pigs heal fairly quickly on their own.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can't buy any pain medicines that he could take without a prescription, and an antibiotic won't do any good if there's no infection, and may actually cause harm by upsetting his digestive tract.

Confining him in a small area is a good idea.

Bumblefoot causes redness and swelling, and open sores if it's bad enough. He doesn't have any of those symptoms. See https://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html.

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave
Can I use epsom salt to help him heal faster or relief his pain?

dirah93

Cavy Slave
Epsom salt wouldn't be of any use since it's really only used to bring down swelling in his foot if he has bumblefoot, which he doesn't. For now, just restricting his movements and monitoring his eating/drinking/pooping/peeing should be enough

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave
Scoottie do you know how to use epsom salt. Please give me full detail like how long I have to put his paw in epsom salt Nd how to clean his paw perfectly so that he do not get any problem like in his eye or if he lick it I know it creates serious problem so please tell asap so dat I can apply soon

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Get a tub and put a towel in it so he doesn't slip fill it with a comfortable temp of water and Epsom salt. Put him in the tub so that all 4 feet is in the tub soak for 5 to 10 minutes try to go for the 10 minutes then take him to the sink and rinse of his feet really well.

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave
@dirah93 he is walking only with his three leg and making noise like he's in pain when I'm moving that leg. Okay then I'll restrict his movement but I searched it that epsom salts will help to relief pain or sooth sprains and bruises. So can I use it? Couz I can't see him suffer

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave
@scoottie rinse it with normal water or with Dettol or jonson shampoo?

dirah93

Cavy Slave
@dirah93 he is walking only with his three leg and making noise like he's in pain when I'm moving that leg. Okay then I'll restrict his movement but I searched it that epsom salts will help to relief pain or sooth sprains and bruises. So can I use it? Couz I can't see him suffer

Since you know now that his front leg is in pain when you touch it, I would recommend not touching the area if you don't have to/being very gentle if you need to pick him up. Also when you restrict his movements, make sure you do so for at least a few weeks or until you notice your guinea pig is putting weight on the affected leg and doesn't react with pain when you extend it gently.

If you really want to use epsom salts you can, it wouldn't hurt to do so although they're really only used to bring down swelling. Make sure to keep an eye on your guinea pig as you're giving him an epsom salt soak. Read the "Epsom Salt Soaks" for more information: https://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave
Thanks [MENTION=37930]dirah93[/MENTION] for the link Nd I'll wait for two days to see if it swallowed or not den I'll give him if it swallowed. Nd I'll buy metacam for pain

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There is NO NEED to soak this pig's foot in Epsom salts. That is used to draw the swelling out of tissues, and this pig does not have any swelling.

@scootie, please stop giving medical advice -- not only will that treatment not help in this case, but pigs can be harmed by Epsom salts.

@shweta.rawat, there is no need for treatment for your pig. Even if you took him to the vet and the bone were broken, they would probably do nothing to it because it will heal on its own, and there is no good way to splint a guinea pig's foot. Trying useless treatments is not going to help his foot heal.

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave
Sorry for late reply but my piggy is fine I didn't use anything he was running perfectly after two days when he got injured thanks everyone

BFGuru

Cavy Slave
There is NO NEED to soak this pig's foot in Epsom salts. That is used to draw the swelling out of tissues, and this pig does not have any swelling.

@scootie, please stop giving medical advice -- not only will that treatment not help in this case, but pigs can be harmed by Epsom salts.

@shweta.rawat, there is no need for treatment for your pig. Even if you took him to the vet and the bone were broken, they would probably do nothing to it because it will heal on its own, and there is no good way to splint a guinea pig's foot. Trying useless treatments is not going to help his foot heal.
This is incorrect. I've seen more than one guinea pig splinted for a break by a vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.