Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

In Need of Cheap Bedding Options!

Bella_Sousa

Cavy Slave
Just today I welcomed home Bella Sousa - my new female Cavy!!!

As excited as I am, I just realized how much CareFresh bedding I used in her cage - and considering that I paid $32 plus tax on a 60 L bag, and it's half gone, I'm getting kind of worried...

Is there any place to buy CareFresh Bedding in Winnipeg for cheap?? Or are there any other options, like perhaps using towels, and washing them in the laundry???

Any suggestion would be great, and helpful - thanks!

sammy_kaye

Cavy Slave
I second using fleece. Works a treat when you get it right. The inital outlay is a little expensive but you don't have to keep buying new bedding every few weeks. I went with the fleece option about a 6 weeks ago and havn't looked back.

Bella_Sousa

Cavy Slave
Fleece? Where can you get it? How does it work?

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
Reading the link that RainKindle has in her post is extremely helpful. I got most of my information on fleece there. You can buy fleece at any fabric store, its pretty common. Caring for fleece and how it works is a decent amount to type, and its all in the Fleece Study (a.k.a RainKindle's link). If you have any more questions after you read it send me a PM, I would be happy to answer any of your questions!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Please see the bedding forum. Tons of threads on appropriate bedding in there. This thread is getting moved to the bedding forum.

lmarieaa

Cavy Slave
I use Suncoast kiln dried pine, the same thing i use for my horses except its a smaller flake version. I get 10 cubic feet for $6 in Texas where i used to live. Whenever i need bedding i just have a family member buy it and ship it to me now. It is a whole lot cheaper than overpriced Manhattan aspen bedding even including the shipping costs.

thesqueakers

Cavy Slave
The link in Rainkindle's post is coming up as inactive?

*edit* found the same link in another post by Rainkindle and it works! Nice one. :crazy:

hueyeats

Cavy Slave
I bought 3 fleece throw roll from walmart at $3.99 ea. (a 48" X 70" size ??, ripped off the labels so didn't quite catch the size but it is huge). If you are interested in the fleece for bedding project, take a look at your local walmart.

I have also bought other fill ins for my piggies beddings from the dollar store:

Boho rugs $1 ea and I have 4 of them & so far (will be buying 4 more when the stock is in), the pee absorbing quality is great. You just throw them in the washer & dryer together with the fleece. I find that the hay is not that hard to get rid of before the wash unlike on fleece, just shake them a few times (unlike fleece where you have to brush them / pick off the hay manually).

Carpet remants (2 in ea $1 bag), I am still experimenting with them.

Super absorbant micro-fleece (small towels for cars) $1 ea, for lining their bed area (I actually made a pet bed from a lunch box ($3 from Wegman sale; good for keeping heat "winter"). I just line paper towels at the bottom base, line the micro-fleece, then use an old T-shirt to cover everything, fasten with safty pins on the bottom... viola, my home made pet bed.

Kitchen towels $1 ea.

etc.

----------------------------------------------------------

You do not have to spend a ton to make your pet's space a great place, only spending a ton of considerations, ideas & efforts that gives your pet its deserved love. :love::love::love:

For money saving places, just spend the time to research & you will find the best place with best values and quality for your beloved piggies.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Fleece is the best way to go. I'm on a tight budget and I used carefresh temporarily and it got expensive fast. By using fleece I save so much money which is great incase I have an emergency vet visit. I would say it saves about $100.00 a month, maybe a little more. The most rewarding thing about fleece is how my piggies love it.