Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting in need of advice im getting a 6th pig, how big should my cage be?

abi.25

Cavy Slave
im still waiting for sugar to be dropped of and the more i think about it the more questions i have ahah...

1. is my cage big enough? this is the lay out, its 3 layers...
[GuineaPigCages.com] in need of advice im getting a 6th pig, how big should my cage be?
2. i use towels and fleece, how often should i change the bed?

3. how many food and water bowels do i need? (ive got 3 waters and 3 foods-one for each layer)

4. how many litter trays and hay nets?(iver got 3 of each)

bump:heart:

Would you mind telling us how big it is in grids? I'm not thinking that is anywhere near big enough, but again I need to know how big it is in grids. Guinea pigs need tons of room to run, so your main floor level must meet the minimum size on the site. So I think you would at least have to have a 2x9 on the floor level for 6 guinea pigs. Again that is the bare minimum bigger is much better. The bedding should be spot cleaned every day, and the cage needs to be fully clean at least once a week. Also it's recommended to have one of everything per pig (So for six pigs that's six water bottles, food dishes, and hay racks, litter pans aren't needed but if you want them, they six of those also)

its 32ftsquared, its made out of wood rather than cubes

From my understanding, for six pigs your main level would need to be 20sq ft at the very least so that they have room to run around and do laps, small upper levels and ramps and such don't count towards how big the whole cage is.

would it be best to split them into pairs, 2 on each level?

If your pigs are already bonded, then no. I think it would be best just to build a bigger cage, or just not adopt more. How many do you have now?

ive got 5 now

Your main level is only 12 sq.ft. It shouldn't fit more than 3 in there. I agree about expanding the cage or not adopting more.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.