Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

In Memory of Mufasa: Short Life But Well Loved

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Mufasa died this afternoon, and I think I'm composed enough to do a tribute to my sweet little piggy who went over the Rainbow Bridge after only two short weeks. He loved to push his balls through his tunnel, play in hay piles, run happy circles on the carpet during floor time, chow on his veggies, and snuggle with me before bed every night.

Mufasa wasn't with me nearly long enough, but he taught me several important things:

-Never underestimate a guinea pig's power to win over hearts. I fell in love with him right away because he had such a friendly disposition, but I was shocked that my husband, who claims to dislike rodents, fell for him almost immediately too. He made sure Mufasa had his veggies, helped me with floor time, and petted our piggy in just the right way to get him to purr. He cried just as much as I did when we realized that Mufasa was gone today.

-Never buy a guinea pig in a pet store. I know that's the mantra here, and I wish I'd found this board just a little sooner. For anyone reading this who thinks the dangers are exaggerated, I promise you they're not. That's why I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes. I thought there was something a bit odd about Mufasa's breathing from the second day, but dismissed it because he seemed fine otherwise. Now he's another pet store casualty.

-Always trust your instincts. How I wish I could go back in time two weeks and tell myself, "You're right! Take him to the vet NOW!" But the only signs were a slightly wet nose, very infrequent sneezing, and a guy instinct that his breathing wasn't quite right. He never, ever showed any other signs till last night, and even then, the emergency wasn't apparent until this morning. I've read how fast they can go downhill, and I can attest to how true that is.

I believe that something positive comes out of every negative. I'm a writer, so I'm going to use my pets column to educate people about adoption so they won't be like me. I didn't know about it, but I'll tell everyone I can to prevent as much heartbreak as possible. I'm also going to adopt a new piggy, so at least Mufasa's loss will mean another guinea pig gets a loving forever home. No piggy will ever replace him, but there's room in my heart to love him forever and to love a new pet as well.

If you read this, give your piggies an extra little kiss tonight. They're in our lives all too short, even when they live a full lifespan, and sometimes they become angels much too soon.

Im so sorry for your loss :( Im sure he knew how much you loved him and how much he meant to you :)

So very sorry. :'-(

Im sorry for your lost :( I'm sitting here in tears coz of what i just read.

So sorry to hear about the loss of your little piggie Mufasa. So sad. :'(

I am so sorry :( . Your story sounds very similar to ours with Shadow and he was also a pet store piggy that we had only a month.

Godspeed, Mufasa. I will have a glass of whiskey to his name tonight.

Pardon me if it's too early to ask, but do you have any plans for an honorable funeral? A simple burial, or maybe a warrior's send-off in a boat down a river?

Safe travels over the rainbow bridge, as they say. I'm sorry for your loss. It's terrible but there are so many similar stories and I can relate. I got Lucien in August of last year. He sneezed a little and seemed lethargic, but by the time I called the vet, he died 3 hours before his appointment. He was only with us for 6 days

I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you during this hard time.
RIP Mufasa :love:

Thanks so much to all. It's been hard tonight because I'm used to doing some lap time with Mufasa and it still hasn't sunk in completely that he's gone. We buried him under the evergreen tree by the back door, and I'm going to get him a marker with an angel when I find just the right one.

I hate looking at his empty cage, but I'm going to have one to love there again, not to replace my little boy but because of him...because he showed me how much love a piggy adds to a family, so I don't want to be without one.

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

I've had my first ever guinea pig for two days now (from a pet store, but if you saw how we "clicked" hopefully you'd understand). Just tonight I noticed he has what I call "the rodent cough", a little jerky movement that lasts a few seconds. My rats, rescues, had the same thing and it ended up being a URI. I was debating taking him in, as guineas may be different, but Mufasa's story has completely made my mind up. I'm calling the vet tomorrow. I'll never forget Mufasa, and Mochi thanks him. :love:

I'm sorry hun! Good luck finding a new piggy to love! I'm crying reading your memorial! :'(

I've had my first ever guinea pig for two days now (from a pet store, but if you saw how we "clicked" hopefully you'd understand). Just tonight I noticed he has what I call "the rodent cough", a little jerky movement that lasts a few seconds. My rats, rescues, had the same thing and it ended up being a URI. I was debating taking him in, as guineas may be different, but Mufasa's story has completely made my mind up. I'm calling the vet tomorrow. I'll never forget Mufasa, and Mochi thanks him. :love:
Good call; guinea pigs are very susceptible to URI's, and it's one of the most common health problems for them.

Interestingly enough, it's the same way with rats.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's unfortunate Mufasa didn't make it, and makes me realize how much of a blessing it is that my two pet story piggies have been with me and alive for a month now. Of course I'm a dramatic worry-wort and took them to the vet when the SLIGHTEST thing was wrong with them, but, that's besides the point. I know he's looking down on you in piggy heaven, watching over you. :)

@KatzeFace, I'm so glad Mufasa's story inspired you to call the vet. I'll say a little prayer that your piggy will be fine.
I appreciate everyone's sentiments. I know the sadness will linger for a long time, but hopefully I'll have good news very soon of a new family member.

i've thought alot about your story since i read it yesterday. what i found so touching is not only how deeply he touched your heart, but also what a powerful lesson he taught you. as a chaplain, i have come to see that the thing most people are afraid of, really, is that they're invisible - that no one will "see" them, that their lives will mean nothing and they'll not be remembered. Mufasa may have been "just" a guinea pig, and he may have "only" live a short while, but they way he changed your life, and they ways he has already affected the lives of others here on this forum - well that's pretty amazing and powerful stuff, don't you think? there are no small lives, there is no created thing that is insignificant. we see only when we open our eyes. mufasa came into your life, and you were open to the relationship and the gifts he had to bring you. you cared for and loved him so he could share the gifts of his being with you. that's a pretty wonderful thing.

I am so so sorry for your loss, losing a pet is hard. He has safley crossed the rainbow bridge and is looking down at you, thanking you for everything, floor time, veggies, snuggles.

I think he tought everyone somthing. Piggies may be tiny, but the have the biggest hearts.:love:

I am so sorry for your loss:weepy:

I'm so sorry for your loss. If you adopt another one, keep in mind that they are prey animals and try and hide illnesses. If you see any hint of illness, a vet visit is in order. A wet nose, sneezing or labored breathing are all signs of a URI.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.