Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay In a pinch

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Hello again,

So I feed my piggies KMS, and for the past few weeks, I know I've been getting low. However I didn't know just how low until today, and found myself at the bottom of the box. Now the pigs only have a tiny pile of hay left, and of course their pellets and veggies. I can order some more, however where I live, it takes at least 2 weeks to deliver.

Most of the time I'm good with checking, and making sure I don't run out before getting another shipment. However I didn't do so well this time, and now I'm in a pinch. So I'm wondering what you all do for hay when you are in a pinch? I can head over to Walmart and buy some Kaytee to hold them over, however I don't know if they will eat it. I also don't have any friends who live near me that own guinea pigs that could lend me some KMS until I get a shipment.

So what do I do until the KMS shipment of hay comes in? Get them some Kaytee and hope they eat it? Drive an hour on a spare tire (Got a flat tire yesterday so I have to get a new tire) to petsmart to get some Oxbow which they won't eat? (Tried it once before, and they just gave me this look of "What the heck is this?!?!" and only ate their pellets. Gosh they are such picky eaters) Or just give them pellets and veggies until I get more KMS?

Thanks
The human, Phoenix, Godric, Fus, and Ro Dah

I know hay is best, but I have been looking up any thread I can find on grass. From what I have been reading grass is put in the same category as hay, although I know to start slowly when introducing it. Have you any access to clean grass? If all else fails it may help. Although my girls get unlimited hay, they are sure enjoying the fresh grass I pick for them.

Well I was kind of in the same situation but with oxbow. I am waiting on my 1st order of KMS (hehe). I was hoping to not have to order any oxbow before I got it, but ran out lucking for less then 12 hours before the FED EX guy showed up today!

I guess just give them pellets till then? Seems like a really long time to be with out though, I would try to get some (you can order Oxbow from (broken link removed) (if u are in USA) takes 2 days to get it from most places...

I know hay is best, but I have been looking up any thread I can find on grass. From what I have been reading grass is put in the same category as hay, although I know to start slowly when introducing it. Have you any access to clean grass? If all else fails it may help. Although my girls get unlimited hay, they are sure enjoying the fresh grass I pick for them.

I grow wheat grass for the pigs, but I cut some for them yesterday and so it needs time to grow back. We have a TON of grass here, even a huge field of grass and dandelions, however one of the people who lives near us hoards outdoor cats, another has chickens which she lets on to our property, many people ride horses in the field, and many people near us have dogs that they just let run lose. So I don't think that grass can be to clean. xD I've actually read somewhere that grass can actually be better for them then grass hay, because it's fresher. Though I don't know if it's true or not. xD

Well I was kind of in the same situation but with oxbow. I am waiting on my 1st order of KMS (hehe). I was hoping to not have to order any oxbow before I got it, but ran out lucking for less then 12 hours before the FED EX guy showed up today!

I guess just give them pellets till then? Seems like a really long time to be with out though, I would try to get some (you can order Oxbow from (broken link removed) (if u are in USA) takes 2 days to get it from most places...

I think pellets will be the only thing to do at the moment. :( I would order from there, however my pigs don't like Oxbow, and also I live in the middle of nowhere, so what would take 2 days for most places would take a week to get to us. xD

I know that long strand hay is extremely important for their gut motility, so if you don't have access to any fresh grass for them, I'd try a small bag of Kaytee in the meantime. If you know they don't eat the Oxbow, don't bother getting it. You can get tiny rectangular cubes of Kaytee in different varieties, so maybe try two or three different ones and keep them just in case you run low in the future? I'd be worried about not giving them access to any for several days in a row.

I think pellets will be the only thing to do at the moment. :( I would order from there, however my pigs don't like Oxbow, and also I live in the middle of nowhere, so what would take 2 days for most places would take a week to get to us. xD

UGH! Well as the other poster said at least pick up some kaytee? Then they can nibble or not, their choice. Where do you live, if you do not mind me asking?

Definitely get some hay. I'd check out the Oxbow at the store again--the quality can vary greatly and your pigs may eat it now. Or go ahead and get some Kaytee, if they will eat that.

I would never go more than a couple of days without hay.

The grass will be fine if you wash it off. You can use warm water and a vegetable wash, or even a very mild dishwashing soap wash if you rinse it very well.

pick some grass for them, just wash it and it should be fine as long as there are no pesticides on it.

By the way, clean, fresh grass is always better than hay. I often give mine fresh grass instead of hay.

UGH! Well as the other poster said at least pick up some kaytee? Then they can nibble or not, their choice. Where do you live, if you do not mind me asking?

I think I'll just drive down to Petsmart, and buy them some Oxbow to eat if they want. I think that there would be a less chance of them eating Kaytee then Oxbow, as it's lesser quality. I live in PA, in the area that's mostly just fields. xD I wish I could find some hay to get from one of the farms around here because they grow so much of it, however no one will sell hay in small amounts, only like huge bails. xD It's funny because before GPS, if anything was ever delivered to my house, I would have to sit on the phone with the driver for hours like "Ok now turn right at the cow field. Ok now drive straight until you see the horses, then turn left. See those goats? Take a left there." xD

Definitely get some hay. I'd check out the Oxbow at the store again--the quality can vary greatly and your pigs may eat it now. Or go ahead and get some Kaytee, if they will eat that.

I would never go more than a couple of days without hay.

The grass will be fine if you wash it off. You can use warm water and a vegetable wash, or even a very mild dishwashing soap wash if you rinse it very well.

Oh, even with all the animals and such going to the bathroom on it? If so that would be great if I could cut some for them! How long after the grass being mowed can it be cut, washed and given to guinea pigs?

Ok I got the pigs soon Oxbow and they are munching away. I think it was because they had a choice of KMS or Oxbow last time I tried it, I'm still wondering though that if I wash the grass will it be ok to give it to them? Even though there are many animals that go to the bathroom on it?

Foggy answered your question I believe saying "The grass will be fine if you wash it off. You can use warm water and a vegetable wash, or even a very mild dishwashing soap wash if you rinse it very well."

Foggy answered your question I believe saying "The grass will be fine if you wash it off. You can use warm water and a vegetable wash, or even a very mild dishwashing soap wash if you rinse it very well."

Ok, I just wasn't sure if she had read the part where I said there were animals who frequented it or not, so I just wanted to make sure. :)

No worries. I am not an expert on grass at all :eek:, and I thought you might of missed her advice.

If you are around horses then you may be able to get a smaller bale from someone in the area. When I visit my family near Vancouver, B.C. I go to a hay dealer and buy my hay by the bale. They have a variety of hay there to choose from. A lot of horse people feed Timothy or Meadow hay. I store it in my basement in an old sheet sewed into a big bag. It is so much cheaper that way and so my girls get huge piles of hay every day.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.