Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Impaction Impaction Prevention Procedures?

PokeyPig

Cavy Slave
Hi There-

My sister's guinea pig was recently diagnosed with impaction and I have been doing a lot of reading about it and I also want to make sure I am doing the right things to prevent it in my own pig. He is about 3.5 years old- very healthy. I've read online that the perineal sac should be cleaned even in healthy pigs about every three month. Some tutorials suggested giving them a warm water enema, while other suggested simply wiping out the sack with a Q-tip dipped in mineral oil. I want to make it as comfortable as possible for my little guy but I also want to keep him healthy. Any ideas or suggestions on the best routine for this?

Thank you!

Last edited:
My guy roger needs cleaning about every other week it seems and he's a year old. If you use the minral oil be careful of the amount because it could cause him to mess his cage if you use to much. I use a dab of oil or wet it with warm water

Please do NOT give your pig an enema. There's absolutely no need to do that, and it won't help with impaction anyway. Enemas clean out the lower intestine, but the problem with impaction is usually in the anal sac.

They should be checked at least once a week, but may not have to be cleaned that often, particularly if they're young or have been neutered. But hay and other debris can get stuck in the sac or under the sheath of the penis, and needs to be taken care of before it causes more problems.

Here are instructions on how to do it: medical :: Sac cleaning video by brimstone_photo - Photobucket.

Edited to add: If you use mineral oil, make sure it's the light version, not the heavy one, and use it very sparingly.

Thank you. That video is very helpful. Why does it say on Guinealynx to use a syringe and warm water to flush out the sac? https://www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html It also doesn't say anything about how much mineral oil to use. I was just going to dip a Q-tip in a little bit of it and wipe out the sac. Is it a bad thing that I have never done thing and he is 3 years old? He has seen vet twice and it was never mentioned to me that I should have been doing this.

I'm guessing you're not seeing an exotic vet? A regular vet may not know anything about it.

I saw two vets, both exotic. They were both good and very nice. They just didn't mention it to me. Anyway- I just finished doing his first sac cleaning and I think it went well. I mixed the mineral oil with a little warm water on the end of a Q-tip and used the technique in the video. I could not believe what he had in there! Let alone the terrible smell! Phew! I'm so glad I did it though because he had a lot of build up. He is such a sweet and patient pig, he didn't even squeal. Thank you everyone for your help! I'll be sure to do this a couple times a month to keep him healthy and clean.

I'm not a fan of cleaning out a male's sac until he needs it. There are other things to do to help prevent impaction--lots of hay, a cage mate, a large cage, and plenty of exercise.

I'm not a fan of cleaning out a male's sac until he needs it. There are other things to do to help prevent impaction--lots of hay, a cage mate, a large cage, and plenty of exercise.
I'm with you on not being a fan of cleaning the sac! Unfourtantly my abby, Roger, has to be cleaned out about every 2 weeks because his sac is like a crumb catcher! The other boys don't seem to have this problem but they are lean hipped americans so I think that helps.

Great to know. He already has all the things you listed. I'll just check him once in a while and make sure it isn't full.

Thank you everyone for the advice and input on the matter!

Just to clarify -- you may not need to clean all that often, but you do need to check things out on a frequent basis, like weekly, to make sure nothing is going wrong.

Every week when cleaning cages I weigh all pigs and give each one a quick "once over" for any medical concerns. I recommend everyone do it--this way you will become aware of problems, like impaction or lumps, sooner than later.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.