Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals Impaction or normal boy junk?

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
This happened last night with Gungnir, my 1-ish yr old teddie/sheltie boar. I've had him since May. When I first got him, he had a lot of hair around his weenie, but his butt was fine. I took a look last night, and to my surprise there was maybe a quarter size amount of black junk and hair in his pocket, along with some white gooey substance. It also smelled way worse than the normal bad pocket smell. There is still some left in the pocket, but it seems 'stuck', so I left it there and gave him a break. It was an irregular shape also.

He has been pooping fine and didn't seem bothered by the cleaning. This is also the first time any of my boars had this sort of stuff in their pocket.

Could this be some sort of impaction?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Impaction is poop that for whatever reason is unable to be expelled from the anal sac. Its really just poop. Sounds to me like he just had a buildup of foreign material for some reason. . Perhaps just keep an eye on it but he's likely fine.

Extraterrestrial

Cavy Slave
A couple of boys usually have the same white gunk in their pockets; I'm believe that is mostly a buildup of dead skin cells and I do clean it out. Only one of my furry pigs ends up with hair in his pocket, but he always has it like clockwork. It just sounds like your boy might need more help with keeping his pocket clean for whatever reason. I check them about every month and clean as needed. Even my pigs that are the same age have varying levels of gunk to be cleaned out.

Last edited:

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Would a picture be helpful if I can get it? He had more hair around his weenie, and I can see more mushy poop/hay in his sack. He's pooping just fine and doesn't seem to have an actual impaction, but it's more pocket junk than I've ever seen.

Extraterrestrial

Cavy Slave
I'm almost wondering if it could be a breed thing. I'm trying to imagine what your piggy looks like. Teddy pigs tend to have dirtier ears, and a lot of ear wax is made up of dead skin cells, so I wonder if that trait could translate to their down below as well. If he has long hair like a sheltie, I imagine (from personal experience....) it's easier caught in nooks and crannies.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Do you get junk out of the sac when you clean it?

White gunk can sometimes be fungus that's formed on the feces in the sac. If the white stuff is mostly on the feces and not on the sac itself, it wouldn't hurt to wipe the inside of his sac with an antifungal cream after you've given it a good cleaning.

Gawellent

Cavy Gazer
. Perhaps just keep an eye on it but he's likely fine.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Do you get junk out of the sac when you clean it?

White gunk can sometimes be fungus that's formed on the feces in the sac. If the white stuff is mostly on the feces and not on the sac itself, it wouldn't hurt to wipe the inside of his sac with an antifungal cream after you've given it a good cleaning.
Yes I managed to get everything out the last time (the other day when I posted last). I'm just going to watch it for now. He still seems perfectly fine.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I check him every couple of days and he's accumulating a lot of white gunk and hair. I'm thinking I'll have to give him a trim. He is part sheltie so he has a long skirt. We've haven't had problems keeping that area clean, but I don't need hair getting in his weenie or anything.

omgitspiggies

Cavy Gazer
This happened last night with Gungnir, my 1-ish yr old teddie/sheltie boar. I've had him since May. When I first got him, he had a lot of hair around his weenie, but his butt was fine. I took a look last night, and to my surprise there was maybe a quarter size amount of black junk and hair in his pocket, along with some white gooey substance. It also smelled way worse than the normal bad pocket smell. There is still some left in the pocket, but it seems 'stuck', so I left it there and gave him a break. It was an irregular shape also.

He has been pooping fine and didn't seem bothered by the cleaning. This is also the first time any of my boars had this sort of stuff in their pocket.

Could this be some sort of impaction?
It’s called a liner. It’s bio material you can wipe with qtip tho it’s fine n normal

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I've continued to clean Gungnir's sack every few days. I also did the other boys today. Gungnir again had the expected hair in his sack, along with a little pit of possible poop. There is SO MUCH white stuff in there. It looks chunky. I'm starting to think I should take him to the doctor. Idk if pigs can get yeast infections or anything in their pocket, maybe that's it?

Trishula and Maple Leaf were the opposite. I pulled out whatever was in there with one end of a qtip. Talwar just had a bit of hay. Gungnir's collection again smelled worse than the others.

Gungnir's weenie is not affected by this. His poops are looking normal also.

Also I should clarify that when I clean him, I am not going crazy and cleaning out everything and making it perfect. I get out the hair and stuff that I see and easily get, and that's it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, they can get yeast infections. And yes, you do need to clean it all out, not just remove the hair. You can soak his butt in a warm water bath and gently manipulate the sack to loosen the stuff that's in it, and then clean it with ear swabs. There can be a LOT of impacted poop in there, and it needs to be removed.