Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury I'm so worried about Elliot's nose.

Jojojo

Cavy Slave
Elliot is about 7/8 weeks old now. Ever since I've had him he has had a "crusty" nose and I didn't think anything of it. Then a few days ago I noticed it was dark red, like it had been bleeding. Now I've just looked in on him and it is bright red and wet again, it looks awful. It's not bleeding from inside his nose, more like an external injury.
Could he maybe be bumping into something? He lives with Ollie, who is the same age, and they have lived together since birth.

Is there something I can do to help him?

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave

Jojojo

Cavy Slave
It doesn't really look like a fungus infection, it's almost like somebody has sliced his nose in one area and that bit is bleeding and exposed.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
If it is not obviously healing (which it sounds like it is not), I would take him to the vet. You don't want it to get infected. I'm sure this goes without saying, but make sure there isn't anything sharp in his cage. Does he get picked on by Ollie?

Jojojo

Cavy Slave
I don't really know if he gets picked on. Elliot spends lots of time hopping around the cage, exploring, whilst Ollie tends to stay in the pigloo pretty much all of the time. Sometimes I hear growling and quiet squeaking but I can't tell which piggy is making which noise. I've never actually seen either of them get attacked with my eyes but I don't know what happens when I'm not there.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
What size cage are they in? Could he be rubbing his nose on the cage bars and causing this type of injury? One of my girls used to rub her nose raw doing this before I got her and she was in a very small pet store cage.

Jojojo

Cavy Slave
They are in a large cage, it's not a C&C cage but it is much bigger than any pet store cage I have seen. They have lots of room for running up and down and I've not seen him rubbing his nose, it does look like that kind of injury though.
Also, is his nose meant to have hair on it? You can't even see Ollie's nose, it is covered in hair, but he is a sheltie so is it different? With Elliot's nose there is no hair, just a round patch with the two different colours of skin that he has. It is this patch that is bleeding.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Whatever it is, you probably need to get that pig to a vet.

Jojojo

Cavy Slave
I've just had another look at him this morning. There are one or two small patches on his head where he has lost fur. I've booked him a vet appointment.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.