Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I'm so torn! Advice needed.

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
Okay. Here's the situation: three boars. Two are best buds. Loner hates one of the other's guts, and vice versa. All three cannot be housed together. Loner needs a girlfriend.

Cave Spring Piggie Rescue, where I adopted my first two boys, spays their females when they come to the rescue. I've been in contact with Vicki, the leading lady, and she said she has a long haired piggie, that came to the rescue because her cagemate died because the power went out and he got too cold. She also said Fiona can jump out of a C&C cage and is "quite the personality."

I'm in love with her.

And then Craigslist. There are many males in need of homes, but I just don't have it in me to try and introduce another male. Lo and behold, a female listing appears yesterday. I emailed the owner and she seems nice enough, just says she doesn't have enough time. I would need to get the female spayed or my boy neutered. I also gave her a link to Teresa's sexing page and asked her to try and make sure. EDIT: She's roughly 1 year 4 months, and my loner is roughly 6 months. Would that be a problem?
Guinea pig for adoption! (negotiation in progress)

I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO.

Advice? Opinions? Please help. :(

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
Go for the rescue piggie. I don't know why, there's just something not settling well with me on the CL page. Plus, the rescue piggie is already spayed and you'd not be risking the life of your new pig or your male.

ittybitty98577

Cavy Slave
Honestly, I would go for the one in the rescue, you said your self your in love with her, She is already fixed. And your male could get along with her. But it is up to you and what you think is best for your pigs and you. But that is just my opinion.

frashy

Cavy Slave
I would definally say, since your piggie that's a loner seems to be dominent, by the fact he can't get along with your other piggie, you are better off just finding a female, rather than adopting another male guinea pig, who possibly may not even be submissive and not get along (if she does end up sexing wrong still).Then you will have two other guinea pigs who need another buddy, and you will just end up with more and more (nothing wrong with that, but if you can only have so much space for so many).

I think it is very lucky of you to have a place that actually spayes the females they rescue.

Last edited:

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
All points are valid, and I agree with them. Getting the rescue piggie would be the logical thing to do. But you see, in my mind, I want to get the Craigslist pig because I don't want her housed in a petstore cage for the rest of her life and be fed crap food and all that.

I feel bad for the CL pig, but I do know that a rescue pig would be healthier, happy, and would be no need for neutering.

Oh brother.... *smacks forehead*

frashy

Cavy Slave
Oh man..I guess, but you are also thinking about the sake of your piggies and finding them the correct buddy like they need.

I guess you could try putting the piggie from craigslist in the adoptables discussion section of the forum, to help her get away from the petstore cage?

ittybitty98577

Cavy Slave
I know! Why dont you just get both girls ;) just a suggestion.

frashy

Cavy Slave
Oh yeah! instead of being a loner..he could be like a pimp, or king! And end up the being the winner!

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
I guess you could try putting the piggie from craigslist in the adoptables discussion section of the forum, to help her get away from the petstore cage?

Oh, true, true. I'll do that.

I know! Why dont you just get both girls ;) just a suggestion.

Already crossed my mind! Unfortunately, my dad already said, "NO MORE AFTER THIS ONE! You have to be able to accept 'no' at some point."

frashy

Cavy Slave
Ohh..haha. I just told my dad today that I had got another (not that it matters because I don't live with him anymore) but he said they are staying at my mothers!

Which is okay, because at the end of summer I am getting my own place.

ittybitty98577

Cavy Slave
Yah I was told no a little while ago.... hmmm. So do you know what one your getting?

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
No. :( One minute I'm decided on the CL pig, the next the rescue pig.

I'm going to ask opinions from family in the morning. "Oh, Dad, please oh please? Someone on the forum said Gip wants to be a pimp! You know what that means...."

I'm going to sleep on it. Goodnight all, and look forward to more opinions in the morning.

Gemiinii

Cavy Slave
I would personally go for the rescue piggie, because a) you'll know the sex for sure, and b) you wouldn't have to worry about a failed surgery and wind up with a broken heart.

But I can see why you're torn. Hope your family can help you decide. Good luck!

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
Getting the rescue pig would be cheaper because surgery is more expensive than an adoption fee.

snickersthepig

Cavy Slave
The rescue pig needs a home. If she's a jumper then couldn't you just put a top on the cage? You could just put it over the outer perimeter of the cage, thats what I did with snicker's playpen(he was a jumper).
Do whatever feels right though. If your male is dominant then he would probably do best with a female. but there are other female guinea pigs out there looking for homes too. Oh, I probably confused you even more, sorry.:sorry:

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
Oh, I didn't mean her jumping out of the cage was a bad thing. My cages have tops anyway, because I have cats.

I do realize she needs a home, but it's almost like, she's well taken care of where she is, and I know people have to be screened very thoroughly in order to adopt, so that makes me feel a little better.

Ack. I know it seems like I'm leaning more towards the CL one, but I think that's because of the horrible Youtube video my brother watched and told us about. I don't want that to happen to this little girl.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
If I could only take one pig I would take the one in the situation that's worse, which sounds to me like the CL pig. She's probably in a petstore cage, eating crap for food. It's more likely than not that anyone who adopts her from the owner won't be as piggy savvy as you are.

The pig at the rescue is likely to get a home and is in good care now. When they adopt her out, they will make sure she goes to a home that will properly care for her, whether it's you or someone else, right? To me, it's clear the CL pig needs you more than the one in the rescue.

If you can afford to have your boy neutered and cover all costs associated with it, I say go for the CL pig.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
It's a tough decision. I know that as a rescue, we often have to sit and stare at pigs who are in bad situations, or even in danger of euthanasia if we don't have room. So adopting a rescue pig is helping a rescue (with your adoption donation) AND opening room for them to take in other sick and homeless pigs which may not have a chance otherwise.

frashy

Cavy Slave
I am actually starting to agree with the CL pig..because, couldn't you just take her to the rescue to get her spayed, if mabey they will do it for a cheaper price than the actual vets office? Either way, at least you know somewhere to get her spayed, that has tons of experience of doing so.

Or, if it ends up being cheaper to neuter Gip.

Paula did give some good points, such as someone who is most likely to get the pig off craigslist won't be as cavy savvy. If someone else ends up taking her before someone else on here does.

gooberific

Cavy Slave
Would it be possible for the rescue you are considering to take in this pig from Craigslist, if you do that "rehoming" fee, and then you adopt the spayed piggie they already have and that seems like a really active, healthy, fun piggie? Have you tried asking them, to see if there is something you can all do to work together and help both of the piggies?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.