Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General I'm new and need advice!

galeadenise

Cavy Slave
Hi. My name is Denise and I'm from Malta. I haven't got any guinea pigs yet but are planning to adopt next month. I will be buying from a pet store since I don't think we have breeders in Malta. I too am against pet shops but unless you want to adopt a dog or a cat, there is were you have to buy your pets. I will be checking local listings to check whether there is a seller but it's doubtful.

Anyway, I am a previous owner of a rabbit and would love a pet again. Since I live in a rental apartment that doesn't allow pets, we decided on guinea pigs. I have been gathering information but I cannot find any supplies here for coloplast or the net cubes you use. And another thing, I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter. She loves animals but cannot obviously handle them well, since she gets so excited and clumsy. I will be the one taking care of the animals and am going to set rules on guinea pig handling and care. Any tips you might want to give me are immensely appreciated. Thank you.

Do you have classified ad websites or ads in local newspapers? If you don't have rescues there, you might be able to find a private person rehoming their piggy. If there are pet stores, there are inevitably people who bought them on impulse and who want to get rid of them.

Make sure you have a way to secure the cage so your daughter can't get into it if you're not around. Toddlers are very resourceful, especially when going after something "cute" that they want.

Good luck on finding the perfect piggy, and hopefully someone else here will have suggestions on alternative cage materials.

I have looked at all types of classifieds and found nothing. I'll keep looking for the next month until I buy my piggies. I really can't wait to adopt! I would really like to adopt two females since they say they go well together. I think I'll have to settle for the biggest pet store cage as regards to housing them. I am planning to take them out everyday for long periods of time since I only work one day in five. The cage will be in my daughter's room for the night, but she just has clothes and toys in there. She doesn,t actually sleep in the room, she still sleeps in her cot in our room. I hope i can find a playpen for them at least. These things are not common here unfotunately.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.