Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting I'm getting piggies!

Guineas4life

Cavy Slave
Ok so I have a question. I am going to be adopting two girls very soon. They are 8 months old and are named Kayla and Princess. They are about 45 min. to an hour away from where I live. I have built an alternitive C and C with a shower curtain and it is plenty of room. My question is how should I take them home? I have an old pet store cage and was wondering if it would be OK to put their waterbottle, food, bedding, and 2 hiddies in there for the ride. I would also sit with and talk to them the entire time. Is this the safe way? Do any of you have any suggestions to make the ride better for them?

Congratulations! That's very exciting!

An old pet store cage would be fine. Don't put the water bottle in; it will just drip, drip, drip and soak the bedding. They should be fine for an hour as long as you attach the bottle to their permanent cage when they get home. I would just put some bedding down and then a nice pile of soft hay.

Guinea pigs don't usually seem to mind car rides and they will likely be completely fine. Don't worry! :)

Good luck!

[GuineaPigCages.com] I'm getting piggies![GuineaPigCages.com] I'm getting piggies!sorry about the flipped pics. She sent me these pictures, the whitish one is a long hair-princess and the redish one is shorthair-Kayla

You could also use a laundry basket for the car ride. Just pad the basket with bath towels or something soft. Put some hay and maybe some pellets in there. I wouldn't put a water bottle in there though - they tend to leak and if it's only a 45-hour drive, wetting the veggies should be enough for them to get water.

How exciting for you! And it's smart of you to plan ahead. When I adopted Borat from an animal shelter that was geared to dogs and cats, they didn't have a carrier so they ended up putting him in a shoebox they found! I just assumed they'd have one of those little cardboard carriers.

If you want something permanent that you can use in the future, there's a bird/small animal carrier that opens from the top, with lots of air holes, that I bought for my Quaker parrot and the piggies.

Congrats on the new piggies!

Thanks! This website is full of great advice! I get them tommorow at 3:00 :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.